Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Secured graduation + Double Cash approval

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi Secured graduation + Double Cash approval

Originally opened the Citi Secured back in 9/2017 with a $2500 deposit. Expected to have the card open the full 18 months for graduation, heck the expiration on the card was exactly 18 months.

So was very surprised to get the early graduation letter, dated after the 9th statement closed in June. I haven't really used the card very much lately, but when I first opened it, I paid my rent on there once or twice, letting the amount report & subsequently hurt the card utilization. But my total util. was never over 30%, and usually closer to 9%. I'd say the card was used maybe once in the last 3 months.

On a side note, blind app'd for the Double Cash when my scores hit 730 across the board and was approved for $5k. So not 100% sure what to do with this Diamond Preferred whenever it shows up. Suggestions are always welcome.

And before somebody asks, the reason I opened the secured card last summer in the first place was to rebuild my Citi relationship. I burned them bad about 10 years ago (giving a 20 year old without a job a $14k credit line was a bad idea) and had been denied on blind apps in the past (DC & Best Buy cards).

10 REPLIES 10
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi Secured graduation + Double Cash approval

Congrats! That’s a great SL for a DC card!

New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

congrats

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on Citibank secured graduation plus approval! Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 11
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

Congratulations!

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on approval and nice SL !!!!

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Originally opened the Citi Secured back in 9/2017 with a $2500 deposit. Expected to have the card open the full 18 months for graduation, heck the expiration on the card was exactly 18 months.

So was very surprised to get the early graduation letter, dated after the 9th statement closed in June. I haven't really used the card very much lately, but when I first opened it, I paid my rent on there once or twice, letting the amount report & subsequently hurt the card utilization. But my total util. was never over 30%, and usually closer to 9%. I'd say the card was used maybe once in the last 3 months.

On a side note, blind app'd for the Double Cash when my scores hit 730 across the board and was approved for $5k. So not 100% sure what to do with this Diamond Preferred whenever it shows up. Suggestions are always welcome.

And before somebody asks, the reason I opened the secured card last summer in the first place was to rebuild my Citi relationship. I burned them bad about 10 years ago (giving a 20 year old without a job a $14k credit line was a bad idea) and had been denied on blind apps in the past (DC & Best Buy cards).

Super Congrats on your Citi Secured $2,500 graduation and Double Cash $5,000 approval! Smiley Very Happy

You're now in the FICO 700 Club across the board. So my "advice" is to take care of both cards

and collect CLIs as they present themselves. Odds are good more offers are in your future. But if

you decide you like one Citi card over the other, you can always roll over the credit limit of the Citi

card you decide not to keep. Just a suggestion, of course. Congrats once again! Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the approval and secured card graduation!
Message 9 of 11
sjt
Senior Contributor

Congrats!

Nice to know that Citi will start reviewing for unsecured status without having to wait 18 months.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.