Citi secured MasterCard approval!

TU: 525
Equifax: 501
6 credit collections
7 hard inquiries
95% payment history
45-60% utilization

Citi only did a hard pull on equifax

So the other night 4/18 ... I applied for the discover secured card since it said it wouldn’t affect my credit score ... unfortunately I was denied ... I started reading around which secured cards I could apply for that wouldn’t do a hard inquiry because I’m trying to rebuild my credit. I believe I read somewhere that citi wouldn’t so I decided to give them a try ... as soon as I filled out the application I received a congratulations you’re approved we just need you to fund the deposit ... so I put my deposit info in ... I also received an alert about a hard pull ... I decided to deposit $300 ... the deposit money was taken out of my bank account 4/20 ... when I check the status of my application it says they’re still reviewing my application but from what I’ve read from everyone else if they tell you you’re approved and they take the money out of your account you should receive another email telling you that your card is on the way.

I honestly didn’t think I would get approved since I got denied by discover secured card ... and before I applied for capital one secured card ... and Wells Fargo secured card.

My credit score 3 months ago was 479 I’m slowly getting it back up and I hope with this secured card it’s going to help bring my score up.

So if you’re considering a secured card you should probably try citi because when everyone else said no they said yes
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Citi secured MasterCard approval!

Congrats, bud! You should check out Discover. It's the chrome card only secured. You can change it to the 5% IT card after the 1st statement. With 1st year cash back match, you can get up to 10% back the first year. Literally, the only difference from the normal card is it's secured. The prequal won't ding you either. They pull EX if you decide to accept it.

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Before I applied for the citi secured I applied for the discover and I was denied...
Message 3 of 16
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

It happens. Just try again in a few months.

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations on the card and increasing your CS!

Message 5 of 16
HindSight_20_20
Frequent Contributor

Nice work and Congratulations on your approval!  

Goal Score: EX 700|TU 700|EQ700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

HiltonHonors AMEX 2K | Amazon Store CC $800 | Bed Bath & Beyond 2K | Lowes CC 11K | Cap 1 Secured $500 | Cap 1 Plat $300 | Cap 1 Savor 1K |Citi Secured $200 | Target $500 | Kohl's $1K | Truist Cashback 4.5K | Penfed Power Cash Back 3.5K |Apple Pay CC 3K | Venmo Sig Visa 7.5K | SECU 13.5K | Bragg Mutual FCU 10K | Best Buy Citi Visa $2.5K | DiscoverIT CB 11.5K
Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

COngrats on your approva and goodluck in your credit journey !!!!

Message 7 of 16
calyx
Super Contributor

Congrats on the Citi secured!

I have the same card - I went with them because I wanted to get in with the Citi family early and you can product change the graduated card later.    They (and their online interface and app) are easy to use as well, though right now I'm just using it for netfix and hulu Smiley Wink 

Good luck on your credit journey!  I hope everything continues to improve for you Smiley Happy

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 8 of 16
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

You’ll always have a fond feeling for that first lender that said “yes.” Congrats! Citi is a good one!
Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 9 of 16
800FICOGoal
Established Contributor

Congrats on your Citi approval!!!

Rebuild Cards

Goal Cards

Loans
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.