cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coastal Federal Credit Union - OMG (thanks, Mom!)

tag
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Coastal Federal Credit Union - OMG (thanks, Mom!)

I began a credit rebuild in March and April. As of March, I had an unpaid charge-off for $92 and nothing else on my credit reports newer than 2012. And the old stuff only appeared on Equifax. I paid the charge-off and then got it removed via GWL saturation method. I opened a bunch of new accounts, the first on April 2. I say this for context: my credit situation is (in my mind) not good. I have no derogatories at all, but I have a ton of inquiries and new accounts, most of which are secured cards or other easy-to-get stuff like that. See my signature for the list.

BUT, my mom did me a huge favor back in April 1987: she took me to Coastal Federal Credit Union and opened a joint account with me. When I was an adult, we took her off the account. I didn't use it for most of that time, but I maintained it in case it ever came in handy. And boy has it! Thanks, Mom!

On Saturday, I got a $30k car loan at 3.74% from Coastal! UPDATE: The car loan showed up on my account listings on the Coastal web site, and it is 3.54%, not 3.74%! And although I wasn't really planning to get another credit card (have plenty), since they already pulled my credit, I asked them about a card.

Today, my new best friend at Coastal told me I have been approved for the Signature Visa, $5k limit, 13.5% APR!!

I know that's basically the minimum CL for a signature Visa and the points rewards are nothing special, but I am not even preapproved for a Quicksilver One or basically any "normal" card when I look elsewhere. It took me three tries to get a Discover secured card last month!

Sorry for the double exclamation marks, I am a 48-year-old man, it's not like me, but I can't believe it! Is this the real life, or is this just fantasy?!

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Coastal Federal Credit Union - OMG

Congrats on your approval! 

Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your card approval and car loan!!
Message 3 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Excellent results - congrats! I hear you on mom and the FCU account. I’m 44 and have had an account with my CU since mom took me there in 9th grade. They’ve been my primary institution my whole life. One mortgage, 5 car loans, and a card in the past. I know everyone on a first name basis. That long term relationship has paid off many times. I have set my kids up with accounts there as well, and if they want to withdraw or deposit, I have them go inside to the tellers - never too early to cultivate those same relationships.

Congrats on your success!
Message 4 of 20
bizarrocreditworld
Valued Contributor

Congratulations on all of your new accounts! Great job on maintaining the relationship with Coastal.

No credit news is good credit news!
Message 5 of 20
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Re: Coastal Federal Credit Union - OMG (thanks, Mom!)

"Sorry for the double exclamation marks, I am a 48-year-old man, it's not like me, but I can't believe it! Is this the real life, or is this just fantasy?!"

Congrats on you're Approval!!!

Message 6 of 20
Marz2002
Senior Contributor

YOU...

awesome congratulations GIF by Slanted Studios

From 1 Rebuilder to another Rebuilder, CONGRATS  on your Coastal FCU aoto loan Approval and your Visa Signature card Approval/SL!!!

AMEX BCP $8K | AMEX Cash Magnet $15K | Citi DoubleCash WEMC $15.2K | Citi Rewards WMC $15.5K | Citi Costco VS $12K
Citi Custom Cash WEMC $7.8K | Synchrony (PayPal Credit $6K, Care Credit $15K, & PayPal 2% MC $10K, VENMO VS $6.5K)
PNC Cash Rewards VS $10.5K | NFCU cashRewards VS $14K | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $37.5K | NFCU Flagship Rewards VS $23K
Discover IT $22.5K | BB&T Cash Rewards $4.5K | Macy's AMEX $25K | Bloomingdales AMEX $20K | Apple Card WEMC $9K
PenFed Power Cash Rewards VS $7.5K

Total CL - $284K+
Message 7 of 20
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Way to go! Great story and glad your Mom set you up big time for the futureSmiley Happy. I moved in with my Dad back in good ol '87, so heres to a vintage yearSmiley Wink
Message 8 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations on the approval!!!

Message 9 of 20
TheFIGuy
Established Contributor

Congrats!
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.