cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combined two Discover It cards & CLI - $27,500!

tag
dlister70
Frequent Contributor

Combined two Discover It cards & CLI - $27,500!

After I received my cashback match on my second Discover It card, I called in to cancel it.  I had previously moved some of the credit limit from my old card onto the new card to help with utilization, and I wanted to move that back before canceling.

Previously, I thought that if either card had an available CLI that this was possible, but they said that the receiving card had to be the one with the available CLI.  I'm not sure if that was just because I mentioned canceling the donor card or not, but it was the first time I had heard that.

I did have an available CLI for $5,000 and they added that plus the credit limit from the second card to give me a grand total of $27,500 limit on my Discover card!  That's a crazy limit for me.  My next highest card is an AMEX Everyday with $14,000 (also due to combining cards).

Credit score:  745 TU on Discover's website, 771 on Experian

Salary:  54k/year

First Discover card was at $6,500 because I had transferred some of the limit to 2nd card over the summer when I did my roof.  2nd Discover card was at $16,000 and is now closed and everything is on the older card now.

Also an interesting data point, when I filled out the CLI request on the website they offered $6,000 but when I called in, they offered $5,000.  The only difference was that I put my house payment as $640 on the website, but told them $650 on the phone.  The actual payment is something like $644 or so but I pay weekly and can never remember what the monthly total is.  Sometimes I say $640, sometimes $650.  It was interesting to see a $1000 swing in credit limit offer over a change of $10 in mortgage payment.

I plan to get another Discover It card for another cashback bonus year, but I am waiting a bit for the smoke to clear so that I don't get denied for having two cards because they haven't finished processing the canceled card.

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
tbque
Valued Contributor

Re: Combined two Discover It cards & CLI - $27,500!

Congratulations!

Message 2 of 23
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Awesome jobSmiley Happy that was a huge cliSmiley Happy. I highly doubt the amount you put for Mortgage has any affect on your cli with Discover. I always put $0 and i have still gotten cli. Enjoy that monster limit.

Curious , are you showing bt offers on your account?
Message 3 of 23
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Congrats on yer Combo!!  .. I did not do it, because I sometimes max both cards in cat spend.

Message 4 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@M_Smart007 wrote:

Congrats on yer Combo!!  .. I did not do it, because I sometimes max both cards in cat spend.

That's very smart, smarty. Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dlister70 wrote:

... they said that the receiving card had to be the one with the available CLI ... 

I was told the same thing yesterday. Good information to know.

Congrats! on an excellent CLI.

Message 6 of 23
dlister70
Frequent Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Curious , are you showing bt offers on your account?

I did not have BT offers on the old card prior to the merge, but now I do.  It's only 9 months at 0% with a 3% fee.  The newer card that I canceled had better offers prior to canceling.

Message 7 of 23
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your CLI and account combination!
Message 8 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on combing limits and getting a nice increase!!
Message 9 of 23
Pro-X
Frequent Contributor

Congrats!!

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.