Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused with Amex decisions

tag
Maxi11510
Contributor

Confused with Amex decisions

Good morning Fico family,

I am currently gardening, however at least once a week I check the Amex preapproved website to see if I can finally get this BCE. For  months I have applied for this card and have been declined,  however I am constantly offered the platinum charge card???.  I need assistance from those of you who are more experienced with American Express than I am. I have there every day card and the Delta sky Miles. So yesterday  although still in the garden I clicked on the platinum offer it only asked for my income and I was immediately approved!  So I have 2 questions. The first question is am I still consider gardening there was no hard pull,  and my second question is why would they approve me for the platinum charge card and not the BCE?   Someone please help! My scores aren't even that great I'm rebuilding, completely confused at this point!

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Confused with Amex decisions

Yes, getting a new credit, or in this case charge, card resets your garden date. The difference in approving you the platinum is $550 annual fee that they now get to collect from you.
Message 2 of 18
Berk
Established Contributor

In spite of what most folks think about the Plat card from Amex, it is a relatively easy card to get as are most Amex charge cards. 

The real question you need to ask yourself is, "Can I justify a $550 annual fee just to keep this card in my wallet?" 

Message 3 of 18
Maxi11510
Contributor

Hi Berk,

Yes I actually take 3 vacations a year and I travel a lot for business with the company reimbursement for airlines, hotel stays and food.

Message 4 of 18
Berk
Established Contributor

Beautiful! Yes, you will reap plenty of rewards from it then. I used to be able to put all my company spend on it until my company realized about 3 years ago that they were losing a whole lot of perks themselves so they made us all get corporate cards. I get to keep all the points but I don't wrack up near as many as I used to. I also fly Delta for the most part so I use the heck out of the lounges. Just make sure you sign up for all the perks. 

Message 5 of 18
Maxi11510
Contributor

Berk,

I just signed up for the $200 credit they offer and was advised when I receive the card to go online and sign up for all of them.  I fly Delta also and fly into Portland in September, so as I have a JetBlue card as well with a $195 credit on it I had Amex place the $200 credit on Jetblue. Then next years $200 credit will probably go on my Delta Amex as I have a wedding to attend in the Bahamas. 

Message 6 of 18
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Congrats on the platinum approval. Yes, make sure you sign up for everything! Starwood and Hilton, then link your Starwood to Marriott. Marriott Gold Elite I have found actually pays for the entire AF just with free family breakfasts! LOL Then don't forget to choose an airline for airline credit and sign up for all of the statuses with the rental companies. I think my Enterprise status was actually due to Amex National being reciprocal? And if you have a SO or kids over 15, be sure to add additional cardholders.

Going back to your original question, the underwriting for charge cards are all the same for the green/gold/plat family, which is below that of the revolvers.
Message 7 of 18
BPebbles
Frequent Contributor

Congrats on your new Platinum!  And yes, go sign up for everything!  Enjoy the lounges! Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 18
Maxi11510
Contributor

K-in- Boston , BPebbles

K thank you for the wealth of knowledge for the is card! As soon as I receive it I will take full advantage of all offers you mentioned. I really appreciate the response as this is my first charge card with them.

BPebbles, thank you so much and I plan to take it vantage of all offers that are available with this card. The funny thing is is my daughters going to Portland and I just added her on to my Chase freedom unlimited am I Chase Sapphire reserve, had I known I was going to apply for this particular card I would've added her to this one.
Message 9 of 18
Berk
Established Contributor

@Maxi11510 wrote:
K-in- Boston , BPebbles

K thank you for the wealth of knowledge for the is card! As soon as I receive it I will take full advantage of all offers you mentioned. I really appreciate the response as this is my first charge card with them.

BPebbles, thank you so much and I plan to take it vantage of all offers that are available with this card. The funny thing is is my daughters going to Portland and I just added her on to my Chase freedom unlimited am I Chase Sapphire reserve, had I known I was going to apply for this particular card I would've added her to this one.

Just remember that it is an additional $175.00 per year for up to three AU's on this card. the only perk that doesn’t extend to additional cardholders is the $200 fee credit. All in all the best travel perk card for adding AU's hands down!

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.