Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confusing Inconsistent Credit Limit with Amazon Prime Approval

tag
Creditsen
Regular Contributor

Confusing Inconsistent Credit Limit with Amazon Prime Approval

I was recently approved for Amazon Prime for $5,000 when I applied online. I was very excited because I buy so much on Amazon that I knew I would benefit from the cash back. The confusing part came when I immediately logged into my Chase account to see if the card showed up as chase hosts the Amazon card. As soon as the card appeared on my Chase.com account the credit limit was listed at $6,500. Does anyone have any idea what is happening here?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Confusing Inconsistent Credit Limit with Amazon Prime Approval

The most chase will show when applying for card through amazon is 5k although it can either be 5k or say 30k, for security reasons they dont show aboce 5k on approval screen for this card, but when you log into chase your limit certainly might be higher.  Hopefully that clears up your confusion.

Message 2 of 8
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Welcome To myFICO Forums and

Message 3 of 8
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

The most chase will show when applying for card through amazon is 5k although it can either be 5k or say 30k, for security reasons they dont show aboce 5k on approval screen for this card, but when you log into chase your limit certainly might be higher.  Hopefully that clears up your confusion.

When I got mine I was told approved for 5K, but when I got the card it was 8.5K.   I didn't realize that Chase did that intentionally, I thought upon review the just decided to give me more.   

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 4 of 8
Creditsen
Regular Contributor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

Thank you that is super helpful and clears that up perfectly!

Message 5 of 8
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

When i first got my Chase Amazon credit card it said $1500. When i logged in i was shocked to find my actual limit was $1500. What the fico?
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

If they approve you for $5000 or less your approval message/email will show the actual limit you got approved for.

If they approve you for over $5000 the approval message/email will still show $5000, and you won't see your real limit until you can view the account on Chase's website, phone services, or mail.

So, for whatever reason, the approval message always shows a max of $5000.  It could also be a temporary limit until the card is issued and activated as well, but unless someone runs up over $5K on Amazon immediately after applying I guess we won't know (and no, I don't recommend doing this...)

Message 7 of 8
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Unfortunately I was not one of the lucky ones.. What I saw was what I got.... Still under 5k... GRRRRH

Not worth the HP though

-J

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.