Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contemplating a Mini Spree - Update: Chase & NFCU Approved

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Contemplating a Mini Spree - Update: Chase & NFCU Approved

I closed on my house on 3/2 and just made my first mortgage payment, yay!  So far, the mortgage hasn't reported.  I'd like to apply for another card or two, but I was wondering about timing.  Should I just go for it, or wait for the mortgage to report?   I'd like to apply for a CSR and one other, possibly one of the NFCU cards. 

Income: 105K

EQ: 744 - 3 inquiries

TU: 757  - 2 inquiries

EX: 741 - 2 inquiries

Chase Freedom 10.5K CL no balance

Cap1 Master 1.3K $55 balance

Two inquiries on each of the CBs are from the mortgage, first is the preapproval and they hard pulled all three again just before closing.  The third inquiry on EQ is from the house alarm install.  I typically pay my cards in full and leave a small balance on one.  No baddies, no debt other than the mortgage. 

Any thoughts or advice?

(And many thanks to these forums and everyone here for helping me get to where I am now.  I had literally no credit and no clue when I stumbled in to MyFICO about two years ago.  Smiley Very Happy )

Mod note:  I've updated your subject to reflect your approval; feel free to change/edit if you would like.  --UB

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Re: Contemplating a Mini Spree

Your scores are gonna take a big hit when yor mortgage hits. If you want to snag a couple cards before that happen, now would be the time.  Good luck

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 2 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations on the recent house purchase btw OP 😊

I'd say right now would be an ideal time to get those applications out of the way.

Any particular CC from NFCU?
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar wrote:
Congratulations on the recent house purchase btw OP 😊

I'd say right now would be an ideal time to get those applications out of the way.

I agree! Go for it and take the hits all at once while your score is at a high and you will get better CL and interest rates. That is how I bought my car. I waited until my scores were super high (for me) then I bought a car with a great interest rate.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar wrote:

I was thinking about the plain, old platinum since it has the potential of a really low interest rate.  I don't normally revolve balances, but it might be nice to have the option available to spread out payment for something like unplanned repairs or work to the house for 2-6 months.

Message 5 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

I was thinking about the plain, old platinum since it has the potential of a really low interest rate.  I don't normally revolve balances, but it might be nice to have the option available to spread out payment for something like unplanned repairs or work to the house for 2-6 months.

It's always great to have options.  I'd say if you're already with NFCU, you'd definitely have great approval odds.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

And done!

Instant approval at Chase for 23,300.00 at 21.49% APR.

I got the typical "application has been accepted and under review" notice from NFCU.

And, I'm off to put the seedling back up and done until these last few inquires fall off!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

And done!

Instant approval at Chase for 23,300.00 at 21.49% APR.

I got the typical "application has been accepted and under review" notice from NFCU.

And, I'm off to put the seedling back up and done until these last few inquires fall off!  Smiley Very Happy

Congrats on the Chase approval outcome!  Fingers-crossed on NAVY btw.   My first CC application with them shortly after joining had the same 24-hour review message.  I applied on 9/8 and was approved on 9/11 (received notification via text).

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!

NFCU approved as well for 20,000, I got the notification by text a couple of hours later.  I had expected to be waiting until Monday. 

Message 9 of 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

House and 2 20k cc, sweet job, enjoySmiley Happy
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.