Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Costco Anywhere Visa Card -- Approved!!

tag
chiefone4u
Established Contributor

Costco Anywhere Visa Card -- Approved!!

This morning I tried to see if I was prequalified for any Citi cards and was told they couldn't match me to any offers but I might like the Costco card or Simpliciti card. So I applied for the Costco card (because I'm horrible at gardening, and because I was planning on purchasing a vaction package from Costco -- Have cash for the trip (in savings), but why not get rewarded if possible to vacation!), as soon as I hit the submit button I got an email saying "We're reviewing your Application submitted on 12/01/2018 and will get back to you within 7-10 days." 

The strange thing was the web browser was still thinking and hadn't given me an answer of any kind yet, about 30 seconds goes by and I figure the email was probibly the denial... then BAM! screen changed to APPROVED $5,500 limit and I got another email confirming the approval and limit!

This credit limit makes my largest credit limit for a non-store card (next highest Visa/MC is $2,200).

Data Points:

Notified by CreditKarma that CBNA pulled my Equifax. (Notified as the screen was changing to Approved).

Notified by Experian that "Citi Cards CBNA" requested my Experian Credit Report. (Notified as the screen was changing to Approved).

EQ: 682, TU: 690, EX: 696 (MyFico.com - Fico8).

I was approved for ExxonMobil Smartcard on November 22, 2018 (first ever approval from Citi).

CreditKarma Inquiries (24 month history): TU:40, EQ:45 -- EQ AAoA 1yr 4 mo, UTI 11% -- Highest single UTI 52% with 10 of 34 (Open accounts Including student loans and cars) showing 0% UTI.

Hope this information is useful!!

Goodwill Saturation Technique
Starting Score: EQ:608, EX:617, TU:625
Current Score 3/11/2020: EQ:695, EX:703, TU:720
Goal Score: 740+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Discover IT $1000Cabelas Clasic $1000Coscto Anywhere Signature Visa -Citi- $7200ExxonMobil Smartcard -Citi- $2500Playstation Visa (Comenity) $1950QuickSilver One $2200Walmart $6000Wells Fargo Platinum Visa $3000
Member of the Synchrony Bank giveth then Taketh away April 2020 Club! $86,900 in available credit gone without warning.
Newest Account July 8, 2020 -- Last HP October 24, 2020 -- Gardening Goal: August 2022 and reach 0/24
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
ridgebackpilot
Established Contributor

Re: Costco Anywhere Visa Card -- Approved!!

Congratulations! I've applied for the Costco VISA card several times, with higher FICO scores and lower utilization. But for some reason Citi has always denied me. Go figure!

Just out of curiosity, how many inquiries were showing on your credit reports when you applied for the card? Citi sems to be very sensitive to inquiries, which may be why they don't like me...

Message 2 of 12
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@ridgebackpilot wrote:

Congratulations! I've applied for the Costco VISA card several times, with higher FICO scores and lower utilization. But for some reason Citi has always denied me. Go figure!

Just out of curiosity, how many inquiries were showing on your credit reports when you applied for the card? Citi sems to be very sensitive to inquiries, which may be why they don't like me...

I can't answer the questions directed at him but Citi is inquiry sensitive to peope they want to be and seem to ignore others for whatever reason.  I am one of the others I can get approved for any Citi card and I have masses like 15+ inquiries on EQ in the last year (my geo regiong everyone goes after EQ!).   Usually once you are in with citi legacy not retail you are golden as well.  Hopefully you will get one of their cards sooner than later they certainly can be hard for some!  They refused me for years then all of the sudden the flood gates opened and never an issue since

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your approval !!!

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

congrats!

Message 5 of 12
ridgebackpilot
Established Contributor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

@ridgebackpilot wrote:

I can't answer the questions directed at him but Citi is inquiry sensitive to peope they want to be and seem to ignore others for whatever reason.  I am one of the others I can get approved for any Citi card and I have masses like 15+ inquiries on EQ in the last year (my geo regiong everyone goes after EQ!).   Usually once you are in with citi legacy not retail you are golden as well.  Hopefully you will get one of their cards sooner than later they certainly can be hard for some!  They refused me for years then all of the sudden the flood gates opened and never an issue since

Thanks! I have Citi's American Airlines AAdvantage Premier MC but cannot seem to get a CLI or another of their cards to save my life!

Message 6 of 12
chiefone4u
Established Contributor

@ridgebackpilot wrote:

I have 45 inquiries in the past two years, 6 in the last 6 months. I was denied in July (for home depot) for to many inquires/denials -- letter stated I needed to wait 5 months before trying again.

Around the 5 month mark I applied for and instantly approved $800 limit ExxonMobil gas card. Today is 8 days since that approval and 6 months since my last Citi Costco denial so I tried and was approved.

Experian says I have 8 inquiries in 12 months.

Goodwill Saturation Technique
Starting Score: EQ:608, EX:617, TU:625
Current Score 3/11/2020: EQ:695, EX:703, TU:720
Goal Score: 740+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Discover IT $1000Cabelas Clasic $1000Coscto Anywhere Signature Visa -Citi- $7200ExxonMobil Smartcard -Citi- $2500Playstation Visa (Comenity) $1950QuickSilver One $2200Walmart $6000Wells Fargo Platinum Visa $3000
Member of the Synchrony Bank giveth then Taketh away April 2020 Club! $86,900 in available credit gone without warning.
Newest Account July 8, 2020 -- Last HP October 24, 2020 -- Gardening Goal: August 2022 and reach 0/24
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@chiefone4u wrote:

Hope this information is useful!!

Very useful. Thank you for taking the time to be so thorough. 

And Congratulations! chief on an excellent approval. 

Message 8 of 12
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

Congratulations on your approval!

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 9 of 12
Manonfire
Regular Contributor

Congrats Chiefone4u. I was approved for the Costco card last month. They pulled Experian and there were no inquiries showing on that report. Got $8500 and score was like 705 I believe.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.