Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Costco approval and mgm rewards approval after penfed denial

tag
ulyssesmama
Contributor

Costco approval and mgm rewards approval after penfed denial

I have been wanting to get the pathfinder card from Penfed for a while.  I don't have a hotel travel card. I got a personal loan from penfed 3 months ago (I tried for a credit card then but was denied) so I thought I'd wait 3 months and try again. I think now I'm gonna just give up. But I figured since I have already used up a hard pull and I hear that you can do more within 30 days without an additional hit to your score so I thought I'd try for another card.  

Penfed pulled Equifax  so I thought I'd try a Citibank card. I tried the preapproval and it said I was not matched for anything but that I was free to apply for the citi double cash and a couple of other cards but I decided not to try it. I went to Credit Karma and they matched me with a "fair" match for the Costco card so I went ahead and pulled the trigger.  I was so happy when it said "Congratulations!"  I could hardly believe it!  $4,100 SL.  I tried last summer and was not approved.  I was surprised when I saw that it pulled Experian  since Credit Karma matched me on Equifax .  

I had received in the mail a couple of weeks ago a "prescreened offer" from MGM Rewards but I was skeptical about applying because I received the offer a week after I applied for the FNBO card (not the evergreen, the card I have is not advertised on the website).  I thought maybe I would be rejected since they had just approved me for the other card.  But, after I had just hit Experian , I thought.."Why not"?  I mean, at this point...(I have 31 inquiries). Yeah..I know. Smiley Frustrated But, I pulled the trigger and it was approved also.  It was only $1000 but it's something and it has a small sub of 10,000 points for a $1000 spend in 3 months.  I'm not really a gambler but I live 45 mins away from Beau Rivage in MS and we like the buffet and hotel there. 

I'm really happy and pretty content for a while.

Fico 8 EQ 698, TU 691, EX 684

CK EQ 675, 99% hx, 1% utl, 0 derog, 7yrs, 6mon age, 98 total accounts (a lot of that is student loans with got changed over and both accounts stayed on), 21 hp

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Re: Costco approval and mgm rewards approval after penfed denial

Congratulations on your new approvals!!

Message 2 of 7
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Congratulations on your two Approvals 🎉

Message 3 of 7
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

That's terrific!!  Congratulations on your Approvals!! 🎉🥂👏

Message 4 of 7
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congratulations on your approvals!

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (February 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 5 of 7
babygirl1256
Senior Contributor

Congrats on your Costco and MGM Rewards approval . . .  seems like you "hit the jackpot" on those approvals especially with that many inquiries . . . Enjoy them both!

Starting FICO 8 Score in 06/2019: EQ-625, TU-649, EX-640
Current FICO 8 Score in 06/2021: EQ-796, TU-806, EX-812
Goal FICO 8 Score in 06/2022: EQ-825, TU-850, EX-850
Message 6 of 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Not too bad of a haul, grats to both approvals Smiley Happy

Give Penfed some time and if you really want a card from them back off on new accounts they are skittish over these.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.