Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crazy Discover Approval Story

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Crazy Discover Approval Story

Hello all,

I just had to share this crazy story with Discover.

I've been checking the Discover prequalifier for a while now and I always get the Secured It Card offer.
I can tell they are pulling Experian. I have one collection account that reports to Transunion and Experian but do not report to Equifax.

Earlier this month I had read about DCU in the Forums and was approved for two DCU Cards (5k each!?!) and a personal loan (3k) because they only check Equifax. I've been using subprime builder cards: Credit One, Capital One secured and First Premier so I have a thin 2 year file but with all on time payments.

I finally decided to get the secured card and start building it. They hard pulled Experian only March 11th. I signed up for a 500 card and did all the lengthy steps to get it to ACH from my checking account the security deposit. Welllllll, the 500 security deposit payment bounced because of my own foolish error. There was no info on this issue in the forums and when I called, Discover said I had to just do another app with another hard pull.

I was so upset I almost gave up. I decided to readdress the issue and went through the Discover prequalifier on May 15th. Well BOOM it says we have matched you a Discover IT Card. I continue the application and it wanted ALOT of verification. It texted a pin # to my cell phone, then reached a point where I could upload my front/back of ID or bank statement. I uploaded ID and Capital One statement PDF (and I have found when you can, just upload everything, even if not asked for, it speeds things up i.e. DCU). I finally reached a point where it said "Call a representative at this number as soon as possible and this is the reference number"

I called and the gentleman said "We're going to need a bank or loan statement too" I replied, "Yes, done. I included it already." He puts me on hold for a long time then comes back and says I have a 2500 card and it will be shipped!

I went on an app spree and my first approval that actually showed on my report was only one of my DCU. The higher limit immediately brought down my utization more and increased my Equifax from 675 to 701. I apped before the rest could see open new account. I believe the combination of these 2 gave me a significant boost.

I already had:
Credit One 300 1.5 yr old
Cap One Secured 500 2.1 yr old
Cap One QS 500 1.2 yrs old
First Premier 800 1.8 yrs old

My apps included :
Citizens Bank World Mastercard 2300 EQ pull
SALAL Credit Union  VIsa 1500 EQ pull (had asked for 3000)
SALAL Credit Union 500 Overdraft Protection
DCU Visa Plat 5000 EQ pull
DCU Visa Plat 5000 EQ pull same
DCU Personal Loan 3000 EQ pull same
Wayfair (Comenity Bank) Credit Limit ? (stated response in 7-10 days, called that means approved, wait for letter with verification process-no card is issued, it's virtual)Approved EQ pull
Paypal Credit (Synchr Bank) 2250 EQ pull
Ebay MC 300 (Synchr) (only way to find out limit is when you get card/mail or see on credit report) Approved TU Pull
PenFed Promise declined EQ pull ( I receved a pull for membership and then one pull for all credit products)
PenFed 1500 Personal Loal EQ pull same
PenFed 500 Overdraft Protectoin EQ pull same
Discover 2500 EQ pull (5 days ago could only get secured EXP pull)
AMEX declined EXP pull
Barclay declined TU pull
Capital One Savor declined EXP, EQ, TU pull (was checking to see if you could even open a 3rd Cap One card. You can only have 2 but secured doesn't count I found out)

I was continuously checking all the prequalifiers like BOA, CAP ONE, AMEX, etc during the process.

Immediately to the Garden for me for 2 years! Soft inquiries/CLI's only Smiley Happy
11 REPLIES 11
Marz2002
Senior Contributor

Re: Crazy Discover Approval Story

YOU...

awesome congratulations GIF by Slanted Studios

CONGRATS on the Approvals and Welcome to the FORUMS!!!

AMEX BCP $8K | AMEX Cash Magnet $15K | Citi DoubleCash WEMC $15.2K | Citi Rewards WMC $15.5K | Citi Costco VS $12K
Citi Custom Cash WEMC $7.8K | Synchrony (PayPal Credit $6K, Care Credit $15K, & PayPal 2% MC $10K, VENMO VS $6.5K)
PNC Cash Rewards VS $10.5K | NFCU cashRewards VS $14K | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $37.5K | NFCU Flagship Rewards VS $23K
Discover IT $22.5K | BB&T Cash Rewards $4.5K | Macy's AMEX $25K | Bloomingdales AMEX $20K | Apple Card WEMC $9K
PenFed Power Cash Rewards VS $7.5K

Total CL - $284K+
Message 2 of 12
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I went on an app spree and my first approval that actually showed on my report was only one of my DCU. The higher limit immediately brought down my utization more and increased my Equifax from 675 to 701. I apped before the rest could see open new account. I believe the combination of these 2 gave me a significant boost.

hahaha.....sneaky, lucky, fortunate (whatever you wanna call it) you dodged a bullet *secured* and I am sooooo happy for you!  Congrats!!!!!!

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone! The forums helped soooo much. This story seems to indicate Discover rotates credit bureau use. My guess is that I re prequalifed right after a change. I dont't know at what intervals this happens or why. They probably don't want us to know the dates either lol.
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Holy Cow....That's one hell of a spree!!!! Congrats on your approvals!

Message 5 of 12
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Capital One Savor declined EXP, EQ, TU pull (was checking to see if you could even open a 3rd Cap One card. You can only have 2 but secured doesn't count I found out)

You can only have 2 open rebuilders and the max card count of all types is 5. Grats to all your new apps.

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on approval !!!

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

...or maybe my failed application put me in their system somehow. Just another guess....

Message 8 of 12
jaxstraw
Valued Contributor

How did you manage two DCU Plat on the same pull ?

Jax

*************************************************************************************
Then you are a fool. Be thankful that when God gave you a face, he gave you a fool's face
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I applied for the second one about 5 daya later. I went through the general application process on the website(although it did ask for member #). I did not log into my account to apply. I applied for the Rewards Visa and was instantly approved for another 2nd Platinum Visa. It didn't create another hard pull. My membership was approved just a week earlier. Hope this data helps. Believe me, I was shocked.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.