Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Line Increase

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Line Increase

My smallest credit card is a $500 Citibank card.  I use it about once a month and carry a balance of about $400 for the last few years. I have had it for over 2 decades with no lates or going over the limit. Will I get a higher line if I pay it off before requesting a CLI or does it matter much?

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Credit Line Increase

If youve had the card 20 plus years, id imagine youd be due an increase lol. Unless it one of those cards that were previously another bank or just a card that doesnt grow.

Im intrigued, what card is it that you have if you dont mind sharing?
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

As noted in the post . . . Citibank.

Message 3 of 17
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

I think AVJ means which Citibank card. Has it always been a Citibank card or was it part of an acquisition?

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

medicgrrl wrote:
I think AVJ means which Citibank card. Has it always been a Citibank card or was it part of an acquisition?

Oh, ok.  To my best recollection, it has been a Citibank card for at least a decade, and maybe always.  It's a Simplicity Cash card. Also, when I get a new card, it is usually good for about 4 years, if that means anything.

Message 5 of 17
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

Is it a citi bestbuy that used to be CapOne that used to be HSBC that used to be.... ?
New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 6 of 17
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

Sorry ignore my previous post Smiley Happy
New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 7 of 17
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

JR, there are some cards that are "rebuilders" and won't grow much.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@medicgrrl wrote:

For what it is worth, this card (or account) is not a "rebuilder".  Also, back to my original question . . . will paying off the card prior to requesting a CLI materially influence  or upside the increase?

Message 9 of 17
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

@medicgrrl wrote:

Hey medicgrrl! Yep you're absolutely right! I'm actually a "proud" ex-owner of a couple of them cards. haha  Smiley Happy

Just app'd for new ones then closed out and combined their limits. One was a Cap1 Platinum and the other was a BofA 99/500. 

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.