Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit One Credit Line Increase?!?

tag
Medic981
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit One Credit Line Increase?!?

@Cjaysmom wrote:

So I called Credit One. This was a legitimate offer of a CLI. I asked why is it they've pre-qualified me for a $1500 MC and yet I have to pay for a $250 CLI. Answer: That was MC, yours is VISA. (Didn't feel like arguing, let it go....)

Then he checked into an increase on my VISA....declined (reason:  I was approved for a CLI recently ---6 months ago ---).

I'm only keeping this card for age purposes. I refuse to use it and pay the $8.95 monthly fee. Ugh!!!

You can close the account and keep the age of the account on your CR for up to 10 years. Credit One is a sub-prime predatory lender and the sooner you can afford to boot them from your portfolio the better off your will be. 

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 11 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cjaysmom wrote:

So I called Credit One. This was a legitimate offer of a CLI. I asked why is it they've pre-qualified me for a $1500 MC and yet I have to pay for a $250 CLI. Answer: That was MC, yours is VISA. (Didn't feel like arguing, let it go....)

Then he checked into an increase on my VISA....declined (reason:  I was approved for a CLI recently ---6 months ago ---).

I'm only keeping this card for age purposes. I refuse to use it and pay the $8.95 monthly fee. Ugh!!!

If you have better cards, I would cancel Credit One ASAP. It will still report for 10 more years on your credit report. There is no point to paying a monthly fee or annual fee to keep a card alive just for aging purpose. Especially if you get no perks or rewards from it. 

Message 12 of 34
Cjaysmom
Regular Contributor

@Medic981 wrote:

@Cjaysmom wrote:

You can close the account and keep the age of the account on your CR for up to 10 years. Credit One is a sub-prime predatory lender and the sooner you can afford to boot them from your portfolio the better off your will be. 

So, I just closed Credit One with a $0 balance.  The account rep tried to get me to keep it open with an offer of no annual fees or charges as long as I kept it open. However, I told him that I wanted it closed. He said that it was closed with $0 balance. Should I trust that it is truly closed? Should they send me paperwork?

Message 13 of 34
thornback
Senior Contributor

@Cjaysmom wrote:

@Medic981 wrote:

@Cjaysmom wrote:

So, I just closed Credit One with a $0 balance.  The account rep tried to get me to keep it open with an offer of no annual fees or charges as long as I kept it open. However, I told him that I wanted it closed. He said that it was closed with $0 balance. Should I trust that it is truly closed? Should they send me paperwork?

Good for you, Congrats!   You will probably only receive a final statement - not actual paperwork.  But I would think your online account would show a status change within the next 24-48hrs.   You can also call back in a day or two to confirm with a different rep.   Keep an eye on it though -- since they do charge a monthly fee - make sure that $0 balance stays at $0 and they don't try to charge a prorated fee or something.   Watch it until it updates on your credit report as closed with a $0 balance.

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 14 of 34
Medic981
Valued Contributor

Good for you!!! Congrats!!!

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 15 of 34
Cjaysmom
Regular Contributor

@thornback wrote:

@Cjaysmom wrote:

@Medic981 wrote:

@Cjaysmom wrote:

Good for you, Congrats!   You will probably only receive a final statement - not actual paperwork.  But I would think your online account would show a status change within the next 24-48hrs.   You can also call back in a day or two to confirm with a different rep.   Keep an eye on it though -- since they do charge a monthly fee - make sure that $0 balance stays at $0 and they don't try to charge a prorated fee or something.   Watch it until it updates on your credit report as closed with a $0 balance.

Thank you all for the advice. Before closing, I had the first rep change me from paperless billing to paper billing. Then, I closed my account. I am pretty sure that it won't show it closed until around December 8th. Now, even though I'm gardening, I do need to replace the CL$$ that I lost. I get anxiety when I apply for a card.  I think I'll just garden and request for a CLI increase in January.

Message 16 of 34
JoeLuvsHisCredit
Valued Contributor

@kmorr2586 wrote:
I’d be really concerned this is a check scam. I’ve had my Credit One card for many years, to the point I’ve received several CLIs (limit is now $2,500). Each time I was notified when I logged in my account and charged $24.99 (whatever, I know, beggars can’t be choosers sometimes).

AMENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN + 111111111111111111110000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Message 17 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

🤔 drag this relationship out back, and put it out of it's misery.... 🤔
Message 18 of 34
Cjaysmom
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
🤔 drag this relationship out back, and put it out of it's misery.... 🤔

Hi All,

This is a follow up post. I decided to go ahead and apply for a Credit Card to replace Credit One. I felt that I should do this before there would be an obvious decrease in my fico score due to closing this account. So, I went on Discovers website and was pre-approved for their cashback cards. I applied for the one with the most cash back at 16.99% .  I was approved for (I started shaking when I saw this) a $12,000 CL.  So, I gave up $950 and got $12,000 without having to cash Credit One's check (a legitimate offer) of $250 to increase my CL to $1,200.

Again thanks to all who encouraged me to close my Credit One account.  Without your advice, I would still have this card on my report for only $950 CL.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all.....Now back to gardening until 2020!!

Message 19 of 34
kmorr2586
Regular Contributor

Huge congrats here!
Message 20 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.