Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Steps Cap 1 Platinum PC'd to Quicksilver and $100 CLI

tag
AnimatorProcrastinator
Regular Contributor

Credit Steps Cap 1 Platinum PC'd to Quicksilver and $100 CLI

I had been checking the upgrade link every couple of weeks since I got the platinum, just now was able to upgrade to Quicksilver. I had a $1000 SL and have completed 3 steps of the 5 credit steps requirement to get an extra $500, so I thought I'd try for the $100 cli I'd heard about and was approved. TU FICO is 713. Hoping i'm able to jump out of whatever bucket i'm in, and i've heard that the early credit steps $100 cli is a good sign of that? 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Credit Steps Cap 1 Platinum PC'd to Quicksilver and $100 CLI

First off congrats on your CLI before the credit steps. Unfortunately the card is a Plat and will stay that way. At least now you'll get cash back for your purchases. If you look at the back of the QS it says Plat. It will grow very slowly and never be your big money card. But we all had to start somewhere and did it the same way. Then kissed it goodbye once things got better in time. Treat it right and better cards will start to come in. GL!

Message 2 of 10
AnimatorProcrastinator
Regular Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

First off congrats on your CLI before the credit steps. Unfortunately the card is a Plat and will stay that way. At least now you'll get cash back for your purchases. If you look at the back of the QS it says Plat. It will grow very slowly and never be your big money card. But we all had to start somewhere and did it the same way. Then kissed it goodbye once things got better in time. Treat it right and better cards will start to come in. GL!

I believe that refers to the fact that it's a Platinum Mastercard, no? Anyways, i've read what you're refering to about how it'll basically always be a starter card, which wasn't really my question. I've heard of people getting slow but steady cli's to like 5 or 10k, after having been in credit steps. I've also read posts of people NOT getting the 100 Cli, and being stuck at 500 after they completed their credit steps. My question was if the 100 cli DURING credit steps is an indication of if you're in a "better" bucket than others who are in credit steps. 

Message 3 of 10
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Congrats on the CLI.

You never know if you're able to escape Capital One's infamous starter bucketing until you try. But your $1,000 starting limit might be cause for optimism. Do you happen to remember what your score was when you were approved?

"Platinum" is the name for a Capital One product, a Visa product, and a Mastercard product. At this point, you no longer have a Capital One Platinum card, but you still have either a Visa or Mastercard Platinum. Your Visa/Mastercard status isn't a big deal. The important thing is that you're now earning rewards without paying an annual fee.

Message 4 of 10
AnimatorProcrastinator
Regular Contributor

@HeavenOhio wrote:

Congrats on the CLI.

You never know if you're able to escape Capital One's infamous starter bucketing until you try. But your $1,000 starting limit might be cause for optimism. Do you happen to remember what your score was when you were approved?

"Platinum" is the name for a Capital One product, a Visa product, and a Mastercard product. At this point, you no longer have a Capital One Platinum card, but you still have either a Visa or Mastercard Platinum. Your Visa/Mastercard status isn't a big deal. The important thing is that you're now earning rewards without paying an annual fee.

My Transunion FICO score at approval was 722, and I had one year of credit history. The only reason I applied for it was because I thought I wouldn't be approved for anything else, so I am still very happy that this card will actually get some non-category spend now instead of being SD'd. 

Message 5 of 10
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@AnimatorProcrastinator wrote:

My question was if the 100 cli DURING credit steps is an indication of if you're in a "better" bucket than others who are in credit steps. 

I think your $1,000 starting limit is more of a cause for optimism than the $100 CLI.

Message 6 of 10
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

I'll add that your starting 722 score is another reason for optimism.

Message 7 of 10
SomewhereIn505
Valued Contributor

@AnimatorProcrastinator wrote:

I had been checking the upgrade link every couple of weeks since I got the platinum, just now was able to upgrade to Quicksilver. I had a $1000 SL and have completed 3 steps of the 5 credit steps requirement to get an extra $500, so I thought I'd try for the $100 cli I'd heard about and was approved. TU FICO is 713. Hoping i'm able to jump out of whatever bucket i'm in, and i've heard that the early credit steps $100 cli is a good sign of that? 

I believe you are going in the right direction!

While the $500 is what is supposedly guaranteed, you could have a greater CLI. I don’t know the exact data points, but on my QS and QS1 (when I had it), I was promised $500 but given $750 with a lot of swipes, higher scores, and good behavior.  

While I think PC to QS helped my CLI, it is now my bottom feeder because I have outgrown it. I’m suppose to be eligible for a CLI sometime this month. I’m not holding much hope because it’s a PC Platinum. But I also know it’s helped me rebuild into large cards and better rewards. 

3/16/18 FICO9 TU-700 EQ-669 EX-716
6/26/18 FICO9 TU-750, EQ-672, EX-789

Message 8 of 10
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Congrats on your increase. I'll jump on the bandwagon of saying I think where you started at with your limit, along with your scores, is a sign already that you are heading down the right road. Keep doing what you are doing and growing!

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 9 of 10
numba1fan
Regular Contributor

Congrats on the increase! I think you’re headed in the right direction. I have a platinum cap1 with 1k credit limit that I just got this month. Is the normal increase for 1k 500 extra after the 5 months? Or is it possible that you can jump from 1k to 2k or something?

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.