Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit cards with high SL (5000+)?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit cards with high SL (5000+)?

yeah the venture and CSP aren't 0% for any period. i was being smart with my response. venture one will likely yield a $3k limit if approved, though. feel free to try..
Message 11 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ideally every card would have a long-term purpose, sure, but there's no harm in prioritizing a compelling short-term purpose as well!

OP, see if you have any prequals for the CSP or Venture.

Edit: my bad, I was thinking of Venture One re: 0% offer. And I never pay much attention to intro APR offers, so I must have hallucinated CSP having one!

Message 12 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

CSP and venture don't offer 0% periods
Message 13 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

The VentureOne (not the Venture, which doesn't have a 0% intro APR) seems like a strong option, as it doesn't allow approvals for toy limits (the minimum approval is $3000). The downside though is exactly that -- that you might get saddled with a $3000 limit, and unfortunately Capital One is rather rigid with initial credit lines even if you are willing to take additional hard pulls for increases (FYI, most of their CLIs are SPs, but often require 6 months before granting them). It might be a bit of a gamble to withstand 3 HPs for a card that might not end up suiting your short term needs and you really aren't even concerned with keeping long term anyway.

A Citi credit card might actually be a considerable option. To warn you ahead of time, Citi is not the easiest lender to get in with and their credit lines usually start rather low (especially, the Double Cash, reputedly), but hear me out. Citi is generally very generous with CLIs upon card activation if you are willing to give up another HP for it. It is rather normal for a person to only be approved for a $2000-$3000 credit line with Citi but get it bumped up to $6000 or more with an additional HP. My thinking is, if you don't get the credit line you are looking for upon approval, you are rather likely to still be able to get the limit you want with Citi -- it just depends on how much you are willing to give up. As for your best 0% option among Citi cards, you have plenty of possibilities: Thank You Preferred, Simplicity, Diamond Preferred, and Double Cash (my personal favorite), just to name a few. All of the aforementioned cards also have the benefit of not having an annual fee. As for being approved in the first place, your AAOA is a bit low, but your scores are high and your inquiries are low (Citi is particularly inquiry sensitive). I suggest putting your info into Citi's prequal and see what comes up.

Message 14 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@2011XTerror I just looked at the venture one (not venture) and it starts with 0% APR. And you're right, it's probably better to get cards for the long-run, but I have an immediate need that requires me to prioritize getting a high limit over any other features the card may offer. 

Thank you all for your suggestions! I'll until wait my 3 inquiries drop off next week and I think I'll go for the capital one venture and possibly Amex ED or BCE. Does that sound reasonable?

Message 15 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

do the venture one, not venture if you go cap1.
Message 16 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

The VentureOne (not the Venture, which doesn't have a 0% intro APR) seems like a strong option, as it doesn't allow approvals for toy limits (the minimum approval is $3000). The downside though is exactly that -- that you might get saddled with a $3000 limit, and unfortunately Capital One is rather rigid with initial credit lines even if you are willing to take additional hard pulls for increases (FYI, most of their CLIs are SPs, but often require 6 months before granting them). It might be a bit of a gamble to withstand 3 HPs for a card that might not end up suiting your short term needs and you really aren't even concerned with keeping long term anyway.

A Citi credit card might actually be a considerable option. To warn you ahead of time, Citi is not the easiest lender to get in with and their credit lines usually start rather low (especially, the Double Cash, reputedly), but hear me out. Citi is generally very generous with CLIs upon card activation if you are willing to give up another HP for it. It is rather normal for a person to only be approved for a $2000-$3000 credit line with Citi but get it bumped up to $6000 or more with an additional HP. My thinking is, if you don't get the credit line you are looking for upon approval, you are rather likely to still be able to get the limit you want with Citi -- it just depends on how much you are willing to give up. As for your best 0% option among Citi cards, you have plenty of possibilities: Thank You Preferred, Simplicity, Diamond Preferred, and Double Cash (my personal favorite), just to name a few. All of the aforementioned cards also have the benefit of not having an annual fee. As for being approved in the first place, your AAOA is a bit low, but your scores are high and your inquiries are low (Citi is particularly inquiry sensitive). I suggest putting your info into Citi's prequal and see what comes up.

Thank you for your response, that was very helpful. Would I need to call the recon line in order to get the CLI with citi if the initial limit isn't high enough? Like you said, I don't have many inquiries, and I won't need to apply for credit for a while after this so I don't mind an extra HP.

Message 17 of 28
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I know the limit will depend on a variety factors, but are there particular issuers or specific cards that are known to start with higher limits on average?

You cannot rely solely on the card.  You credit profile and income will determine the limits that you qualify for.

@Anonymous wrote:

Chase Freedom: $2,200 (68%)

Care Credit: $1,500 (48%) 

...and high revolving utilization like that will have a significant impact on what you will qualify for.

That's why we say don't rely on a new card to BT for those who already have high revolving utilization.

Keep in mind that 30% is a generally suggested maximum and that both individual and overall revolving utilization matter.  Your overall is under 30% but the those 2 cards may be a problem for you.

@Anonymous wrote:

My balances are high on the Freedom and Care Credit because I'm taking advantage of 0% interest.

It really doesn't matter from a creditor's perspective.  Pull your own reports.  See where the 0% offers are indicated?

Message 18 of 28
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
CapOne Venture

The venture doesn't offer a 0% period. The Venture one does. That's probably what I'd recommend. You should get something over $5K and they have 0% for a year. 

Personal:

Business:

Message 19 of 28
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
CapOne Venture
^word, I just got a 20K one and have been rebuilding with only them for ~18 months
Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.