Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DW is not a MyFICOer

tag
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: DW is not a MyFICOer

@NoMoreE46 wrote:

We decided to go for the Walmart MC card  last month.  It wasn't a light decision with Cap1's 3x pull but we  would benefit from it as our spend would be about $500/month so   ~$25 cash back/month.  We talked about shifting our spend from the much nicer and nearer grocery store to the craptastic experience at the further away drive to Walmart.  But hey, we are looking at about $300 back in a year so yeah.

(Apped in DW's profile of < 4% utility and  > 800  F9.  What I thought would be a home run ended up as a hit batter.  She was granted a SL of $1,000.  I was expecting $10,000 or at least $5,000.  Anyway, it is oddly a World MC at the $1,000.)

She goes off to Walmart with the new card and the list of things.

I happen to get a SMS  from Wells Fargo that $110 is pending from a Walmart purchase. 

Huh? - Is it fraud?  I will have to deal with this when I get home.

Get home and ask how was the trip to Walmart.  "All good" she says.   And did you remember to use the new Walmart card?  I anxiously ask.  "The cashier tried it and said it was denied."   I was like what?  Can I see the card?  She digs through her purse and out comes her Citi DC card that she never activated....{Another story.}

I say, 'no this isn't the new Walmart card.'  

Used the Propel card after all.

Me. now. thinks. are. gonna. give. up.

great storySmiley Happy......one thing though....expecting a big sl from a Cap One  Wally is like  picking up a scratch off and expecting to get those big advertised prizes of " up to..." lol. Most of us just end up with the ...😅

Message 21 of 37
stonedog23
Frequent Contributor

I married a woman with really bad credit and someone who knows practically nothing about credit and credit cards. She couldn't even be on our home loan. So slowly we are working on her credit. When we started, her accounts were all current, but near or above her credit limits. Thankfully her limits are low. She called me into the kitchen one day and said I don't know what happened, but Amex gave me a $150 statement credit and it looks like it's from Bath and Body and my purchase was only @$29.  I had explain a SUB. So I would love to have the problem of just mixing up cards, sigh. 

NFCU GoRewards Sig ($40,000), NFCU Cash Rewards ($33,000), PenFed Power Cash ($25,000), FNBO Evergreen Visa ($20,000), Bread Financial Rewards Amex ($19,150), PNC Cash Rewards ($18,400), PNC Cashbuilder ($18,700) , Citi Double Cash ($9600), Discover It Cash ($9000), Walmart MC ($8000), Bank of America Unlimited Cash Rewards ($7500), Fifth Third Unlimited Cash Back Mastercard ($7500), Wells Fargo Active Cash Sig($7000), Apple Card ($6000), Amex BCE($6000), Amex ED($6600), X1 Card ($5000), PNC Points ($8000), Amex Cash Magnet($2000), Fifth Third Truly Simple ($4000), Truist Spectrum Cash Rewards($4500), Truist Bright Card($4500), CapOne Quicksilver(Bucketed @$1500), US Bank Cash+ ($5,000), US Bank Cash+ ($1,000), WF mortgage 195K Fico 8: EQ 766, TU 763, EX 753, FICO 9:EQ 829, TU 812, EX 791, AAoA-97 months, AoOA-28 years
Message 22 of 37
UH_HUH
Valued Contributor

@NoMoreE46 wrote:

We decided to go for the Walmart MC card  last month.  It wasn't a light decision with Cap1's 3x pull but we  would benefit from it as our spend would be about $500/month so   ~$25 cash back/month.  We talked about shifting our spend from the much nicer and nearer grocery store to the craptastic experience at the further away drive to Walmart.  But hey, we are looking at about $300 back in a year so yeah.

(Apped in DW's profile of < 4% utility and  > 800  F9.  What I thought would be a home run ended up as a hit batter.  She was granted a SL of $1,000.  I was expecting $10,000 or at least $5,000.  Anyway, it is oddly a World MC at the $1,000.)

I happen to get a SMS  from Wells Fargo that $110 is pending from a Walmart purchase. 

Get home and ask how was the trip to Walmart.  "All good" she says.   And did you remember to use the new Walmart card?  I anxiously ask.  "The cashier tried it and said it was denied."   I was like what?  Can I see the card?  She digs through her purse and out comes her Citi DC card that she never activated....{Another story.}

I really liked reading your post @NoMoreE46 

Thanks for sharing your story.

I have that card.The limit is not that important.

I do not like to shop in any big box

store lately bc of Covid 19. I tried out their new

delivery of fresh and frozen food,

along with regular non perishable foods 

and really liked the expierience.

I ordered 41 items and they only substituted one item.

The delivery fee was only $7.99.

I did order Express Fresh for 2 hour delivery,

but my daughter had a code for a free first time use,

and it was on my porch in 37 minutes w/o

seeing or talking to anyone. I have a Whole Foods about a half 

mile from me.Giant,Target and many other options to choose from.

But they were the most accurate and timely.

Sorry for the rambling...just noticed the length of my post.

Enjoy your new card!!!

Cheers

Message 23 of 37
zerofire
Valued Contributor

Congratulations on your new found liquidity!

The Walmart card under Capital One is more conservative compared to the Synchrony version it replaced. The $1000 SL is by extension actually quite good. Please remember that your other half is what makes life interesting. They might not understand everything that you do and you might not understand everything they do but it is those little moments that we all remember back to and have a good laugh. Some of our SO's will not understand what we do until they are racking up the benefits of our struggles and then if we are lucky they will go along with us without much resistance. Oftentimes they might not have enough support to do it perfectly and we need to help them get better while accepting their mistakes so that next time they can do it better.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 24 of 37
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Thanks for all of the replies and shared experiences.

I try to leverage the rewards programs we sign up for, but alas, I don't fret about losing 1 or 2 percent on a single purchase or so.  It does hurt a little though leaving 5% on a $110 transaction.

The Apple Card/Pay is perfect for someone like her.  She loves it and she sees the rewards immediately.

Message 25 of 37
zerofire
Valued Contributor

@NoMoreE46 wrote:

Thanks for all the the replies and shared experiences.

I try to leverage the rewards programs we sign up for, but alas, I don't  fret about losing 1 or 2 percent on a single purchase or so.  It does hurt a little though leaving 5% on a $110 transaction.

The Apple Card/Pay is perfect for someone like her.  She loves it and she sees the rewards immediately.

Apple card is also a very flawed program. If you use the physical card then it is 1%. If you use the phone it is 2%. Talk about painful. Only at the apple store and select overpriced locations do you get the 3% and up.
TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 26 of 37
FlaDude
Established Contributor

@Credit4Growth wrote:

+1

I am swimming with the type of shipmate, DW is not and will not be a MyFicoer...

Me too, in fact mine thinks I spend too much time and energy on credit, debt, and finances in general.

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 27 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NoMoreE46 wrote:

Hahaha she needs to be FICOed!! Well congratulations for the success!

Message 28 of 37
RehabbingANDBlabbing
Established Contributor

The struggle is real. I do all the financial stuff at my house. My spouse starts yawning the minute I start talking about it. The other day he used his BB&T debit card instead of the BB&T credit card because they look very similar. You better believe I took that debit card out his wallet immediately! We don't use debit or cash for anything, for the rewards and the protection. I will say his ears perked up when I recently got approved for the Delta Gold AmEx, which will give us a free trip next year. 

Message 29 of 37
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

@RehabbingANDBlabbing wrote:

The struggle is real. I do all the financial stuff at my house. My spouse starts yawning the minute I start talking about it. The other day he used his BB&T debit card instead of the BB&T credit card because they look very similar. You better believe I took that debit card out his wallet immediately! We don't use debit or cash for anything, for the rewards and the protection. I will say his ears perked up when I recently got approved for the Delta Gold AmEx, which will give us a free trip next year. 

You took his debit card away. 😂

Message 30 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.