cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Declined NFCU CLI Then took a chance and BOOM!

tag
yzerman
Regular Contributor

Declined NFCU CLI Then took a chance and BOOM!

I started my NFCU journey 12-01-2020 with a 1k starting limit Cash Rewards Card.I have previously applied for 2 CLIs on this card and had been refused for the reason my "internal limit has been reached." I read that a 2nd card can reap a higher SL so applied for the GO Rewards and approved again for 1k. In 91 days, and 3 statements I applied for a CLI and was approved for 3k. I was happy with that. Tuesday of this week I again applied for a CLI on the Cash Rewards and since I hadn't received an increase as of this morning I called in and was told I was denied again! What's up?

For fun I checked the NFCU prequalify page and was good to go for all cards. I know the NFCU preqaul is iffy but I decided I'd go for the Flagship since the worst that could happen is I'd take a hard hit but I'd rather that than another 1k toy card since the Flagship is 5k minimum. Also my 3rd and last card. I filled out the app, hit submit and waited for the denial. BOOM! Approved for 20k!!! I was shocked! NFCU really IS the best!!!

Data points: Transunion 8 679 (don't know my Trans9) $82k income, 10 Trans inq but I think 5 in the last year, all baddies now about 5yrs old and perfect since then. No bankrupcy. Believe me I am stoked and really have no need for further CC apps after recently receiving a 10.8k SL on an AMEX Schwab investor card plus the current Flagship 20k approval I am now at about 70k total. Thanks so much for all the help and advice I've received in this forum. I'd never have reached this point without your help. THANKS!

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Declined NFCU CLI Then took a chance and BOOM!

Congrats on your approval there

Message 2 of 18
babygirl1256
Senior Contributor

Congrats on your NFCU approval . . . Never give up . . . that's fantastic!Smiley Happy

Starting FICO 8 Score in 06/2019: EQ-625, TU-649, EX-640
Current FICO 8 Score in 06/2021: EQ-796, TU-806, EX-812
Goal FICO 8 Score in 06/2022: EQ-825, TU-850, EX-850
Message 3 of 18
Elpadrino1
Valued Contributor

Congratulations on your approval!!

Message 4 of 18
Naomi_y1
Established Member

Congrats on the approval! The same happened to me. First card approved at$1000, then increased to $3000 after 4 months. I then applied for More rewards, was approved at $2900. First card is 1yr old now and second is now 9 mths. Every time I asked for increases on either card I got the "You've reached Navy Federal's maximum unsecured credit limit" message. Just 2 months ago I tried their pre-qualification and was pre-approved for all cards. Applied for the Flagship and was approved at $17,600 SL. Needless to say I was 😄 and 😳. 

Message 5 of 18
gingerflower
Valued Contributor

Congratulations and away to go!! Nfcu is awesome....👍

Message 6 of 18
gingerflower
Valued Contributor

Congratulations! Nfcu is an awesome Cu !! 

Message 7 of 18
yzerman
Regular Contributor

@Naomi_y1 wrote:

Congrats on the approval! The same happened to me. First card approved at$1000, then increased to $3000 after 4 months. I then applied for More rewards, was approved at $2900. First card is 1yr old now and second is now 9 mths. Every time I asked for increases on either card I got the "You've reached Navy Federal's maximum unsecured credit limit" message. Just 2 months ago I tried their pre-qualification and was pre-approved for all cards. Applied for the Flagship and was approved at $17,600 SL. Needless to say I was 😄 and 😳. 

Thanks and congrats on your approval! It seems like my 1st NFCU cc was "bucketed" if that's even a thing with NFCU. My oldest card with them but no soup for me. I might have given up with them if I didn't read about all the success stories. For me the 3rd time WAS the charm. I'm still amped about it! 

Message 8 of 18
coreyb80
Super Contributor

Congrats on the approval...go Navy!!

Message 9 of 18
KingRue8500
Senior Contributor

Congrats on your NFCU Flagship Rewards approval

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.