cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delta Amex Gold - What is considered a good CL?

tag
EW800
Valued Contributor

Delta Amex Gold - What is considered a good CL?

I recently applied for and was approved for the Delta Amex Gold.  Starting CL is $5K.  I seem to recall that these Delta cards don't typically have high CL's, is that correct?  Is $5K for this card considered decent?  

I plan to put in for a CLI at the 61-day mark, however it will be interesting to see if Amex approves.  I already have the Amex ED with a $38K CL and the Optima at $12.5K, so even without the Delta card, my profile with them is already over $50K.  I am a feeling they may not go much higher.  Any thoughts on that?  

Thanks! 

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 839; EQ8: 845; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Re: Delta Amex Gold - What is considered a good CL?

$5K is pretty good considering they already had you at a TCL of $50K.  You might encounter a 4506 to bring up the Delta beyond where you are but, 15K shouldn't be difficult on a 3X.  Spend will play a big factor in how high AMEX will go though.  I had a 50K on my BCP and went for 150K and they dinged me for lack of spend and bumped it $700 which I immediately called to rescind because of the odd limit.

Message 2 of 4
EW800
Valued Contributor

@austinguy907 wrote:

$5K is pretty good considering they already had you at a TCL of $50K.  You might encounter a 4506 to bring up the Delta beyond where you are but, 15K shouldn't be difficult on a 3X.  Spend will play a big factor in how high AMEX will go though.  I had a 50K on my BCP and went for 150K and they dinged me for lack of spend and bumped it $700 which I immediately called to rescind because of the odd limit.

Thanks for the input.  It will be interesting to see if putting in for the 3X triggers a 4506.  I've always been completely honest about my income, so shouldn't have anything to hide, but wouldn't care for the hassle.  

As for spend, they may not like me there too much.  I spend literally zero on the Optima ($12.5K CL), other than maybe a lunch every couple of months.  I only put about  $300/mo or so on the ED ($38K CL).  I have put pretty decent spend on the Delta Gold in the first 30 days that I had it.  I put $1800 on it, and paid it to $0 before the statement cut (only allow one account to report about $10 each month for optimal scoring).  I've put the decent spend on the Delta Gold as I want the 60,000 Bonus MIles (requires $3K in four months).

Between the already high TCL, not much spend on the two existing cards, but decent spend and PIF before statement cut on the Delta Gold, it will be interesting to see what they do with me.  I am really hoping that to get the Delta Gold to at least $10K, but who knows....

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 839; EQ8: 845; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 3 of 4
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

I've been finding those with aged amex accounts of 3-5+ years are less likely to run into the 4506 since they have the spend/payment history already.

If you're not using the Optima / ED too much then it might be better to just shuffle CL's around to balance things out a bit.  Maybe drop them to 5K each and then the rest over to Delta.  It seems like we always tend to put our primary spend on a new card for at least the first 6-12 months to see how it compares to our existing cards.

Scoring is just something to worry about 60 days out from a large app.  You've already spent 5 years worrying about scoring and building.... let it go and just use your credit appropriately.  Scoring can get us obsessed with something that doesn't need to be an obsession.  It's something to be mindful of but, as long as you're paying each month it's a low level issue in life.

I think you'll do fine when it comes to the CLI and balancing things out down the road.  

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.