cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied AmEx BonVoy Brilliant CLI but approved Delta Platinum??

tag
paulesport
Contributor

Denied AmEx BonVoy Brilliant CLI but approved Delta Platinum??

I got to my 61 day mark and requested 3x my SL of $8K and got denied. Asked for recon and still denied. Probably bc of my app spree and few big purchases my score took a slight hit— Exp 658. I’ve paid in full and have put nearly $8k since I opened it, hoping this would put me in a good position to get the CLI— nope. I then tried to apply for the Delta Reserve and got denied (no HP). I then realized the pre-approved messaging and saw it on a few co-branded cards only. Not sure if those are easier to get than let’s say an AmEx Gold. The next day from my work laptop all the “Name, you’re pre-approved. Get a decision in 30 seconds” we’re all gone. They instead said “...expand your membership..” I checked again on my personal laptop today and the pre-approved messaging showed up for the Delta Platinum and a few others (Delta Reserve no longer showed as an option). I went for it and got approved for a measly $1400. I guess I should have waited. Wondering if I can upgrade to Reserve or apply for it in the future.
personal
biz

Start 1/1/19
Best 11/15/21
Current rebuild

9 REPLIES 9
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Denied AmEx BonVoy Brilliant CLI but approved Delta Platinum??

You can't upgrade for a year because of the CARD act. You can apply for the reserve though. Unfortunately, if it disappeared, it probably won't come back for 3 or so months.

Message 2 of 10
800FICOGoal
Established Contributor

Congrats on the Delta Platinum approval!!

Rebuild Cards

Goal Cards

Loans
Message 3 of 10
HighAchiever
Established Contributor

Congrats on the approval!!! At least you got the new card and with Amex, it will eventually grow and then you'll have more options in the future! Smiley Happy 

“Most people work just hard enough not to get fired and get paid just enough not to quit.”
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Inquiries: Experian - 4 | Equifax - 3 | TransUnion - 3

Message 4 of 10
paulesport
Contributor

UPDATE: I got the letter that denied the initial CLI request on my AmEx BonVoy Brilliant with the reason as "account has not been open longer than 60 days" and figured, I must have miscalculated my 61-day mark (which I'm sure I was definitely past 61 days). So I decided to request again, but this time I nearly doubled the limit to $14K (worried I would be denied if I pushed my luck to 3x CLI.). Well lo and behold, I was immediately approved! Guess I just had to wait a little longer. I did try to attempt to add a few thousand more to the final CLI, and the CR said once a decision was approved, there could be no changes.
personal
biz

Start 1/1/19
Best 11/15/21
Current rebuild

Message 5 of 10
HighAchiever
Established Contributor

There you go, congratulations!!!   Smiley Happy

“Most people work just hard enough not to get fired and get paid just enough not to quit.”
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Inquiries: Experian - 4 | Equifax - 3 | TransUnion - 3

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your Delta Plat approval and subsequent Bonvoy Brilliant CLI!!!! Enjoy!

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah if you had waited for your scores to go back up they probably would have given you more money

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

BOOM!!

Message 9 of 10
TheFIGuy
Established Contributor

BOOM! Amex Approval!
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.