Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dept of Interior FCU Platinum Card

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Dept of Interior FCU Platinum Card

Inspired by several other recent approvals, I decided to try again for the low rate platinum card issued by Department of Interior Federal Credit Union. Esthetically, it's one of the most beautiful credit cards around IMHO, and the lowest interest rate -- presently 8.60% -- with no balance transfer fees or cash advance fees, is something I find very attractive.

So I pulled the lever yesterday. With my application, I uploaded some income verification documents. This morning I received a telephone call from a very nice, very professional person, just to verify my identity.  A few minutes later I received the loan agreement to sign electronically, and an email telling me I'd been instantly approved.

I was surprised to be approved, and even more to be approved at a good interest rate.

Here's the data:

The card is the non-rewards, low rate, platinum card.

The interest rate I received was 9.65% variable.

Requested limit: $15k

Approved for: $15k

Pulled: EQ, apparently FICO 5. Score was 719. It was definitely not FICO 8, because my FICO 8 score is 732.

Inquiries: not many on EQ

New accounts: not many, just 2/24

Utilization: heavy. 40%

Membership length: 2 years

Relationship: just savings & checking accounts with nominal balances on deposit

Update 9/5/22:  I'm now thinking they pulled EQ FICO 9, because 719 was my exact score in that model at around that time.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
Janneman
Established Contributor

Re: Dept of Interior FCU Platinum Card

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Inspired by several other recent approvals, I decided to try again for their low rate platinum card issued by Department of Interior Federal Credit Union. Esthetically, it's one of the most beautiful credit cards around IMHO, and the lowest interest rate -- presently 9.65% -- with no balance transfer fees or cash advance fees, is something I find very attractive.

So I pulled the lever yesterday. With my application, I uploaded some income verification documents. This morning I received a telephone call from a very nice, very professional person, just to verify my identity.  A few minutes later I received the loan agreement to sign electronically, and an email telling me I'd been instantly approved.

I was surprised to be approved, and even more to be approved at the lowest interest rate.

Here's the data:

The interest rate I received was the lowest, 9.65% variable.

Pulled: EQ, apparently FICO 5. Score was 719. It was definitely not FICO 8, because my FICO 8 score is 732.

congrat...beautiful...Third time a charm...thats why its said never say never again...-Smiley Happy

btw, when you say about requested amount then do we need to request as to how much CL we want? Its not like SL would be based on whatever they decide? Also, what kinda POI documents you uploaded? Are those upload voluntarily from your end or requested by them to process the application?  Have you checked your ChexSystem report to know if they did pull from there as well?? Will loan officer definately be calling us to close out the application?? thanku

Message 2 of 32
ambivalent
Established Contributor

Congratulations on your new card!! 

Aiming for 700 across FICO 8 and $150K TCL
Message 3 of 32
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Janneman wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Inspired by several other recent approvals, I decided to try again for their low rate platinum card issued by Department of Interior Federal Credit Union. Esthetically, it's one of the most beautiful credit cards around IMHO, and the lowest interest rate -- presently 9.65% -- with no balance transfer fees or cash advance fees, is something I find very attractive.

I was surprised to be approved, and even more to be approved at the lowest interest rate.

Here's the data:

The interest rate I received was the lowest, 9.65% variable.

congrat...beautiful...Third time a charm...thats why its said never say never again...-Smiley Happy

btw, when you say about requested amount then do we need to request as to how much CL we want want? Its not like SL would be based on whatever they decide? Also, what kinda POI documents you uploaded? Are those upload voluntarily from your end or requested by them to process the application?  Have you checked your ChexSystem report to know if they did pull from there as well?? Will loan officer definately be calling us to close out the application?? thanku

1. Yes they ask you for a requested credit limit.

2. The only document they asked for was most recent paystub. I put in some other stuff, too, like tax returns, W2, etc. But since it was instant approval I don't think there was a manual review of the documents.

3.  No I didn't check Chex, nor would I. This was just a credit application, no deposit account requested.

4.  The loan officer didn't discuss the application, she was just verifying that it was me who was applying.

Message 4 of 32
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@SouthJamaica, Congratulations on your Dept of Interior FCU Platinum Approval.

So many Credit UnionsHeartSo many Chexsystems inquiries So little timeSmiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 32
Janneman
Established Contributor

@SouthJamaica 

Thank you for your response.. I am sure you know that many lenders do pull Chex even if its not for deposit account. Apple is one of them. By the way, you have had some kinds checking/saving account with this CU since you have had some kinda history with them even though a denial one? Also, you did ask this $15k limit or they finally decided this amount? Why you said that its a beautiful card, is it for its design/outlook or its feature? Thanku

Message 6 of 32
slickwidit
Established Contributor

Congrats!!

"Achieving your goal is great and everything.. But The journey is where all the amazing stuff happens" *Slickwidit*
Score goals - 800+ (85 points away)
Message 7 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

As other posters have said, congrats and to repeat: "third second time is the charm" ... Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 32
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Janneman wrote:

@SouthJamaica 

Thank you for your response.. I am sure you know that many lenders do pull Chex even if its not for deposit account. Apple is one of them. By the way, you have had some kinds checking/saving account with this CU since you have had some kinda history with them even though a denial one? Also, you did ask this $15k limit or they finally decided this amount? Why you said that its a beautiful card, is it for its design/outlook or its feature? Thanku

No, I didn't know that. I learn something new every day here Smiley Happy

Yes. As stated in my OP:

Relationship: just savings & checking accounts with nominal balances on deposit.

Yes. As stated in my OP:

Yes one of the things that first caught my eye about Interior FCU was that they had beautiful credit cards featuring scenes of wild places in nature.  For example:

interior fcu credit card design.jpginterior fcu credit card design 2.jpg

Message 9 of 32
ocheosa
Valued Contributor

Woohoo, perseverance won the day! Congratulations! And it certainly is a beautiful card!

[4/24] Scores 8/9: 700-800s. Util: 1-2%. Inq/12: EQ 0, EX 3, TU 2. AoOA=15.8y, AoYA=8m.
TCL $678.5K: Personal $562.5K, Business $116K.
Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.