cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappointed in Citi Double Cash Approval

tag
WojoThePanda

Disappointed in Citi Double Cash Approval

This is almost entirely my ego speaking, but I was recently approved for the Citi Double Cash and was less than excited to see what they gave me.

The page says 15.24%-25.24% variable APR based on credit worthiness.

I was given the max 25.24% APR, with a near useless $3000 CL.

I make just over $100K/year, score of 810. Monthly debt payment to gross income is 18%. I have a Capital One card that I’ve had for 15 years with no negative marks. I also have a Chase Ink card with 13% APR and $18.6K CL. I have a long credit report with mortgages (including one paid), a HELOC fully paid and closed, 3 vehicles paid and closed, student loans paid and closed, and just have 1 remaining vehicle loan and a mortgage.

I did immediately request a CLI and was given $8,000 and a note saying “This is the maximum credit limit allowed by our policy.” Which should say, “This is the maximum credit limit we will give you based on our analysis of your credit.” So that CL serviceable for my uses of the card.

In the end, I’m glad I got the card. It’ll give me about $600/year in rewards by combining with the Chase Ink. I’m just a little suprised by the games they seem to be playing.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Disappointed in Citi Double Cash Approval

Welcome to the CitiSmiley Wink Congrats on approval and getting additinal credit. Looks like your profile was ripe for a 10k plus as they have started to give out recenty but they must have saw something they didnt like. Mindboggling to say the least.
Message 2 of 10
xaximus
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the approval! Citi is known to be weird like that.

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 3 of 10
SweetCreditObsession
Valued Contributor

Congratulations on the recon.

(+102) | (+106) | (+151)
| TU Fico 9: ? | Exp Fico 9: ? | EQ Fico 9: ?| EQ Fico 8 Bankcard: TBA

Initial Goal: Min. 740 w/all CRAs - Met
Interim Goal: 780 w/all CRAs - Met
Current Goal(s): Min. 800 w/all CRAs
Gardening Until: ??/??/202?| Last App: 10/20/2023

Message 4 of 10
stw715
Regular Contributor

Congrats on the approval.

Next time, try use the Pre-Approval tool first, tho those won’t show you what your SL would be (except maybe the IKEA project card) but the solid pre-quals will show you your interest rate when approved, then you can better determine if it’s worth applying. 

Just example...

-

EA09C2FC-D8FD-4A58-85AB-7C3611714473.jpeg

Message 5 of 10
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Citi isn't generally known for huge starting limits, so I wouldn't be too upset about it. At least you were able to get it to a useable limit.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats. It can actually grow.

Coulda been worse aka a denial. 

Message 7 of 10
Cred4All
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the approval, and as the others said it should grow over time, perhaps longer than some.  Bumping right up to 8k definitely helped ease the initial shock of a 3k SL.  

Message 8 of 10
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

Congratulations on your approval

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry for that near useless of $3000 (of course with your income and all). I'm not saying you can't rant here but remember there are a lot of rebuilders who would be ecstatic with that SL. I myself had $2,500 SL back in 2014 as a 19 year old and I can't believe I got a second CC at that age.

Just try to be more appreciative I guess and Good Luck!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.