Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappointed with Navy Approval

tag
AI_JMV
Regular Contributor

Re: Disappointed with Navy Approval

Thank you all so much.  I really appreciate the love and comfort. Honestly, this whole process made me feel like a sad, deflated balloon lol.  I am going to drown my sorrow in ice cream and chick flicks lol.  Thank you all again.  

Sept 2022 EQ-825 TU-840 EX-830
UTIL: 1%
Message 21 of 89
Harvey26
Valued Contributor

@AI_JMV wrote:

I know I should be happy to finally get in with Navy, but I can't help but be absolutely pis**d. I was approved for a $1k SL, 14.49% APR with current TU scores. I make 562k per year, <1% util, and this is the result I get.  On top of that, I got declined for the Amex BCE, cold apped Chase, and got declined.  So much for a post-closing app spree. Smiley Sad I just don't know what I am doing wrong. I can't even grow my limits very well.  I just don't understand.. 

You can try sending a message through online portal asking for a recon on SL. I would reach out to chase and see what they have to say about your denial. Have you thought about Citi, PNC or BOA they all pull EX. 

Amex ED: 7K, Delta Gold Amex: 7K Macys Amex: 8K , Bloomingdales Amex: 1K , BOA Premium Rewards: 50K , Best Buy Visa: 7K , Banana Republic Mastercard: 5K Target Store Card: 2K VACU Mastercard: 11.5K Discover: 25K, Penfed Platinum Rewards: 12.5K, Apple Card:3K, TD Double Up: 15K
@ 1.74
Message 22 of 89
CreditobsessedinFL
Established Contributor

Hang in there, NAVY is amazing and the LUV will come, in 91/3. In the interim, ain't nothin wrong with a little ice cream topped with a few chick flicks! 

Message 23 of 89
AI_JMV
Regular Contributor

@Harvey26 Citi pulls equifax in Florida. I'm waiting til my Bk falls off to app with them. Smiley Happy  Not interested in the others rn. 

Sept 2022 EQ-825 TU-840 EX-830
UTIL: 1%
Message 24 of 89
Anonymous
Not applicable

Totally understand your disappointment, but like others have said, just hang in there. My first card with Navy was a CashRewards Visa with a $1K starting limit. This was back in January 2019. I recently applied for a second card with Navy (a More Rewards AMEX) and was approved with a $25K starting limit. You just gotta bide your time with them. 

Message 25 of 89
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jnbmom I disagree with your analysis of the stats we see a ton of 500 and 1000 approvals on here, it's widely known navy has a "get to know you period" most of the people who get those first cards with higher limits have been banking and using navy for quite a while, most a of the newbies who flock into nfcu and immediately app for cards usually get that 500-1000 limit there's many dps of it

Message 26 of 89
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous 

Well we can agree to disagree there are numerous members that got a high limit starting out , most of their starting limits were higher than most of their other cards .And there are plenty of DPs to support that as well .

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 27 of 89
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jnbmom wrote:

@Anonymous 

Well we can agree to disagree there are numerous members that got a high limit starting out , most of their starting limits were higher than most of their other cards .And there are plenty of DPs to support that as well .

I agree; $1,000 approvals from NFCU are more the exception than the norm.  It could be that people who receive low initial starting limits complain more so it might appear that a large number get low approvals, but that's not really the case.

Message 28 of 89
CreditobsessedinFL
Established Contributor

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@AI_JMV  Sorry for your dissapointmentSmiley Sad

I have had my share, trust me on this.

Hang tough with NFCU despite the feeling of wanting to possibly close it.

I have a friend that started out with a nRewards secured card, toughed it out,

2 years later He has 3 cards with $80K total credit limits.

He also has a $5K CLOC and a ridiculous rate car loan.

+100, I agree with @M_Smart007! IMHO- NAVY often grants credit despite the profile, when other "larger FI" won't.  Even if they start you out on the kiddie bike, when the training wheels come off, on the second card, look out!!!
AND NFCU seems to be one of the very few FIs, from the forums  (other than Amex and a few select others ) which almost always grants generous CLIs like clockwork at 91/3, AND allows you to go back for a second card almost simultaneously? 
At NFCU it would seem, again, IMHO and based on the Monster NAVY thread, the juice will definitely be worth the squeeze, if you hang in there, and show them a little sumthin'-sumthin'. 

Message 29 of 89
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Chase blacklists for BK for 10 years regardless of if they were included, or not. Amex is currently not doing any recons because of the current economic climate. As for Navy, recent DPs are showing they may have tightened up lately as well, with many people getting low starting limits and only $10 - 15k second cards.

Message 30 of 89
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.