Disco1 (SL 8k) was originally issued 5+ years ago.
Disco2 (SL 3k) came 1 1/2 years ago, not long after I had discovered this place.
Disco1 has been sockdrawered until very recently. The 1st year 10% category cashback on Disco2 was too hard to pass up. It's even a decent 2% on non-category spend. No reason to use Disco1.
But I learned last year that to combine the two cards the receiving one needs to be eligible for a CLI. The donor card does not. So last month I used Disco1 some after literally zero use for almost 18 months. I tried for a CLI two weeks ago after the statement cut = denied.
Today I was idle and tried again = 2000 CLI. I called in for the DD and was offered another 500. Then I asked to combine the credit limits and to close Disco 2, the newer card. CSR said, "Sure, no problem." She came back about five minutes later with a problem: to combine the cards would cost me the extra 500 CLI. She wasn't sure why. Thought it might be a new process. I thought of HUCA , but decided against. My account has since been updated reflecting the changes.
New CL = $27,500
SP TU: 748
4th CLI since 8/2019
Had a recent run of CLI 3 straight months detailed here.
Disco Luv is real
EDIT: Now 5 hours later and I checked the Disco pre-approval site -- I'm good to go if I want to add a 2nd card again. If only it showed the SL. What to do what to do what to do?
@JamesA, go for another disco! We need data points on whether you'll be asked for a 4506-T .
You would have me be the canary in the mine shaft, eh? And here I thought we were becoming pals!
I can't take credit for the CLI/Combine/Close/Open idea. Another poster did this a few months back -- in fact, got the new 2nd card minutes after closing the old 2nd card. Hopefully there would be an update if this caused problems.
But I don't see why this action would too ruffle Discover's feathers. Especially if is offset by regular responsible use and on-time payments.