Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disco pre approval but value in waiting? - Update: Approved

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Disco pre approval but value in waiting? - Update: Approved

Pre approved with disco for the Cashback It and Chrome. 23% variable APR on both. Dont love that. My current UTI is 11% and zero negatives on a thick file. Interested in an emergency higher limit card than a couple $5k's i have and disco seems to be generous + cli's. i havent applied for a card in 3 years. FICO8 has EQ-758 TU-733 and EXP-733. My question is my UTI will reflect 2% after a paid down card reports on the 10th. This preapproval says its good until the 14th. Should i wait? Higher limit and better APR?

Myfico simulator says EQ would be 808, TU 783 and EXP 773 with uti at the 2%. Mid/high six fig income. Also prequaled for the chase freedom unlimited, freedum, and CSP(bank with chase and SW card currently). Amex said they had nothing for me..   

Thanks for any input in advance. 

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Disco pre approval but value in waiting?

@Anonymous wrote:

Pre approved with disco for the Cashback It and Chrome. 23% variable APR on both. Dont love that. My current UTI is 11% and zero negatives on a thick file. Interested in an emergency higher limit card than a couple $5k's i have and disco seems to be generous + cli's. i havent applied for a card in 3 years. FICO8 has EQ-758 TU-733 and EXP-733. My question is my UTI will reflect 2% after a paid down card reports on the 10th. This preapproval says its good until the 14th. Should i wait? Higher limit and better APR?

Myfico simulator says EQ would be 808, TU 783 and EXP 773 with uti at the 2%. Mid/high six fig income. Also prequaled for the chase freedom unlimited, freedum, and CSP(bank with chase and SW card currently). Amex said they had nothing for me..   

Disco wont care about 11% . If you have a lot of available credit, they may not be as generous as you think, because that  makes it obvious card wont see heavy use outside of 5% categories. 

No one knows with Disco, really.

Message 2 of 17
MrPSS
Regular Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Disco wont care about 11% . If you have a lot of available credit, they may not be as generous as you think, because that  makes it obvious card wont see heavy use outside of 5% categories. 

No one knows with Disco, really.

Very true! +1 this post!

You may even want to think about letting higher util report before applying for Disco... they are known to be "big" on balance transfers so perhaps if they see some more util, they will feel more inclined to approve a higher limit with the potential for your to BT with them? As mentioned above, it's a guessing game with them. Both sides have a valid argument.

Just my 2 cents -- I feel like based on what I've read on these forums for Disco approvals, it seems that the better your profile, the less your SL will be. Otherwise, how are they going to make money from you? 

P.S: I was just approved for a $7K SL with Disco, also 2 preapprovals, 25% APR after 14 mos 0% on purchases & BTs. Reporting 32% util at the time of app and 664 equifax (which they pulled). The APR is irrelevant to me though.

Current: Gardening...

FICO 8: EX:TU:EQ:

As of Aug 2020. Total CL: $46,600; Goal: $50,000
Message 3 of 17
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

With your profile, you’re good either way. Certainly no harm in waiting—you’ll still be prequaled lol. But I imagine you’d get a good approval now too. Good luck!!
Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

welp decided to pull the trigger on both. 

Disco instant approval of $4500 :/

Chase CSP - "We have received your request for a Chase credit card. We'll let you know our decision as soon as possible."

Both pulled EXP and Chase also pulled TU.  

Message 5 of 17
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Congrats on the Disco! You got a good SL and it will grow anyway. Good luck on the Chase! It could definitely be an approval. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

called The automated and got the 30 day written. Talked to a rep and she says says it’s still in review. Fingers crossed!!!! I want that SUB 😄
Message 7 of 17
tbque
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the Disco approval and good luck on the Chase!

Message 8 of 17
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Re: Disco pre approval but value in waiting? - Update: Approved

Dont forget, Discover does APR Reductions.

If you call in after you have had your card past the 0% Introdutory offer.

or can be done through Chat

I have had Mine reduced twice, 4-5 year Old Chrome sits @ 18.49%

I still dont carry a Balance, but I like to have in place.

I know @AJC has done it also.

The only place I think you will get lower, unless you had a low interest card for decades,

(some here on the forums do)

Your alternative is going to Be A Credit Union.

Message 9 of 17
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Congrats on The Disco Approval, Not A Bad SL

wish you the Best On Chase.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.