Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover - 4th cli in 6 months

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover - 4th cli in 6 months

Since I am trying to stay in the garden, Discover has been my "go to" account for cli's.  I was given another $3k cli today..  I have gotten the 2 day message for 3 of my requests and received $3k each time. The other increase was $4.5k.

I opened my account in August with a $2.5k limit. I expect to be at $20k for the one year mark.  I am at $17.5k now.  I don't use the card much. I pay our cell phone bill and an occasional dinner. I think my avg spending is around $350 a month on this card.

August 2015 - opened account with $2.5k limit

November 2015 - 1st accepted increase $1500 (turned down $500 cli offer)

February '16 - $4.5k cli ($8.5k limit)

March '16 - $3k cli after 2 day message ($11.5k limit)

May '16 - $3k cli after 2 day message ($14.5k limit)

June '16 - $3k cli after 2 day message (17.5k limit)

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover - 4th cli in 6 months

Congrats on your success!
Message 2 of 11
alextercero
Super Contributor

Congrats

Current Credit Cards

Currently rebuilding as of (May 2021)

Current Fico Scores 8/9: (March 2024)

Credit Age:

Inquiries:

Message 3 of 11
CountryLivin
Valued Contributor

Congratulations!

Message 4 of 11
Ysettle4
Valued Contributor

Congrats. Do you PIF each statement or were you carrying balances?
769 INQs: 6774 INQs: 5764 INQs: 8UTIL: 2%AAoA: 5yr 8mosTotal Credit Line: $873,950
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ysettle - I have done it both ways. I haven't been concerned with making sure I pif each month because I am in the 0% apr phase until August.  That being said, the highest balance I carried was around $1k at Christmas.  I will definitely pif after the promo period ends.

Message 6 of 11
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

Super congrats! Discover is awesome. Good luck with your goal.
Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
Message 7 of 11
Ysettle4
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Ysettle - I have done it both ways. I haven't been concerned with making sure I pif each month because I am in the 0% apr phase until August.  That being said, the highest balance I carried was around $1k at Christmas.  I will definitely pif after the promo period ends.

Thank you for the info.

769 INQs: 6774 INQs: 5764 INQs: 8UTIL: 2%AAoA: 5yr 8mosTotal Credit Line: $873,950
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very nice, thanks for sharing ... good to know doesn't necessarily require big spending, will you share your scores? Also do you have other nice CL? Thanks! A usual message some see when requesting CLI from them is not enough experience with current limit, seems to imply spending at that level ... interesting
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rowncole, my current scores: TU 756, EQ 702, Ex 694.  EX and EQ have a small medical collection from 2010 (TU removed it).  Utilization is 8%.  My scores have been in this range for around 6 months because I had trouble staying in the garden lol. I now have the cc's that I wanted so I have been "experimenting" to see how certain things impact scores.  I expect my scores to start climbing in September after several inquiries from last August quit impacting my scores.

As far as other cards, Chase was the first to give me a $10k limit. I applied for the Freedom card the same day as Discover.  I got in the door with Amex in November with a $10k Cl. That was doubled after 90 days without a single charge.  I don't run a lot through my cards.  We pay our monthly bills with the dh's venture card to use for traveling.   I will use my cc's based on the rewards or if I need to float a purchase during the 0% promo phase of new card.  I do expect to use Discover a little more in the next 6 months because of the rewards categories.  

Discover will give the message - not enough experience with current limit when the account is under 6 months old.  I didn't use my Discover card from January to April because of the rewards category. I received 2 increases during that time. My total spend with Discover in 2016 has probably been around $750 but my cli's have been over $10k.  On the flip side, I have gotten that decline message from cap 1 because the card has been in the sock drawer almost a year.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.