Re: Discover Approval 21 months Post Chapter 7 Bankruptcy

SmartCredit1,  

No, DH has never had a Discover card.  

Message 11 of 23
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

Congrats to dh, and like the godfather said, "welcome to the family." 🎵🎵

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 12 of 23
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

@jace8602 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

DH has a Chapter 7 bankruptcy that was d/c 07/14.  Has done an awesome job rebuilding his credit, and currently has two Cap One Venture Visa Sigs at $19.5K and $15K, Penfed Defender Visa at $5K and Penfed Promise at $2.5K, and Cabela's, Kohl's and Marathon all at $3K.  He has opened a few other cards post d/c (Amazon, Cap One Platinum and Quicksilver One) but decided to close these after attaining better cards.  The one card that he most needed (cash rewards) and wanted is Discover it.  He app'd in Dec.14, June 15, and Dec. 15.  All instant denials due to bankruptcy.  

Yesterday, for the very first time, he received an invitation letter inviting him to apply.  Terrible APR of 23.24%, but firm.  0% APR for 12 months, double cash back the first year.  Well, he went for it.  Approved for $4K, with the terrible APR.  He is thrilled.  Fico 8 scores are EQ 696, EX 682 and TU 677, and income of $90K. Util is at 2%.

Guys, it is possible.  Less than two years since his d/c and Discover opened their doors.

Congrats on the approval! Don't worry about the APR, after the 0% is over you can request to have it lowered. Also, I asked and was given an extra year at 0%, my card has been at 0% since October 2014. 

@ Jacee, OK this is huge, I have never heard of Discover extending the 0% for an additional 12 months. Can you please elaborate on how exactly you accomplished this ? 

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 13 of 23
mrcrisp023
Frequent Contributor

Always great to hear of another post BK approval.  Congrats.

Capital One SavorOne: $3000 / Bank of America Unlimited Cash Rewards Visa Signature: $500 / Mission Lane: $1500 / Merrick: $2000 / CreditOne Amex: $850

Starting 09/2022 MyFico 08: EQ 648 / TU 659 / EX 644
Current MyFico 08: EQ 665 / TU 670 / EX 670

2024 EOY Goal: 750
Message 14 of 23
jacetx
Valued Contributor

@grillandwinemaster wrote:

@jace8602 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

DH has a Chapter 7 bankruptcy that was d/c 07/14.  Has done an awesome job rebuilding his credit, and currently has two Cap One Venture Visa Sigs at $19.5K and $15K, Penfed Defender Visa at $5K and Penfed Promise at $2.5K, and Cabela's, Kohl's and Marathon all at $3K.  He has opened a few other cards post d/c (Amazon, Cap One Platinum and Quicksilver One) but decided to close these after attaining better cards.  The one card that he most needed (cash rewards) and wanted is Discover it.  He app'd in Dec.14, June 15, and Dec. 15.  All instant denials due to bankruptcy.  

Yesterday, for the very first time, he received an invitation letter inviting him to apply.  Terrible APR of 23.24%, but firm.  0% APR for 12 months, double cash back the first year.  Well, he went for it.  Approved for $4K, with the terrible APR.  He is thrilled.  Fico 8 scores are EQ 696, EX 682 and TU 677, and income of $90K. Util is at 2%.

Guys, it is possible.  Less than two years since his d/c and Discover opened their doors.

Congrats on the approval! Don't worry about the APR, after the 0% is over you can request to have it lowered. Also, I asked and was given an extra year at 0%, my card has been at 0% since October 2014. 

@ Jacee, OK this is huge, I have never heard of Discover extending the 0% for an additional 12 months. Can you please elaborate on how exactly you accomplished this ? 

I asked if there was an offer to lower the APR on my account but the CSR said "there is not, however there is an offer to extend the 0% for another 12 months." It was effortless and only took a couple minutes. The offer will expire in October but I already contacted Discover and they have lowered the APR on the card even though the offer hasn't ended.

Message 15 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks mrcrisp023!

Message 16 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you grillandwinemaster!

Message 17 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the new cl well done?

Message 18 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, cardtaker86!

Message 19 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is awesome news! Congrats on the approval. I would love to have Discover again. I took them down in a ch 7 in 2010 for about 10k. I am almost out of my ch 13 ( saved my house) and have begun rebuilding my credit. I have a barclaycard rewards mastercard 1.3k, secured CU visa $500 and recently a jcpenney, J crew via sct and walmart. Planning to garden until early next year and will try for discover. 

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.