Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Approval! And a question

tag
furthur
Regular Contributor

Discover Approval! And a question

After years of nothing on the Discover Pre-approval site, this morning I was suddenly pre-approved for the It and Chrome!

I applied for the It and was instantly approved for $1,000.

While I was planning on holding out for a Citi Premier card to pair with my Double Cash for TYP awards, that's going to have to wait a little longer now... But I'm thinking the cash back match and 14-month 0% apr may be more lucrative while I wait and garden for the Premier.

One question I have is, my first card ever was a Secured Discover It with a tiny $200 limit. This is almost 5 years old now and never was graduated. Now that I have an unsecured Disco is it possible they'll unsecure or combine it? I'm not sure if it's worth canceling since it's my oldest card.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover Approval! And a question

I would keep the old one and when it unsecures keep checking for a CLI.  When a CLI appears don't accept it.... call them and combine the cards if you still want to at that time.  The requirement is having a CLI available to do it.  They'll combine them and then give yout he pending CLI on top of it.

Oh, and use the secured card monthly to get it to unsecure.  Throw a small monthly bill on it and setup autopay for the staement balance.

Message 2 of 9
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

Suggest using the chat feature if you are adverse to talking on the phone or call them up. They are generally a friendly lot. 

Message 3 of 9
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I would keep the old one and when it unsecures keep checking for a CLI.  When a CLI appears don't accept it.... call them and combine the cards if you still want to at that time.  The requirement is having a CLI available to do it.  They'll combine them and then give yout he pending CLI on top of it.

Oh, and use the secured card monthly to get it to unsecure.  Throw a small monthly bill on it and setup autopay for the staement balance.

Hmmmm, very interesting as I was trying to decide to close my secured to unsecured card, then apply later.  But now that you said ^^^that I may hang on to this one and try it myself.

Congrats and Good Luck OP!

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 4 of 9
tbque
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the new Disco card!

Message 5 of 9
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Congrats on yer it!

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your new Disco card!!
Message 7 of 9
SEAlifer
Established Contributor

Congratulations!

AU

Message 8 of 9
furthur
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If I end up combining the two, which account age stays?

Also, I didn't even think about this at the time, but the cash back match says it's for new cardmembers only. Because I got the secured card 4 years ago does this mean I'm not eligible? Or did enough time pass that I may be eligible again?

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.