cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Approval but I dont think I want it now..

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover Approval but I dont think I want it now..

Hey, I came out of the garden and app'd 2 cards, one was Navy Fed Platinum. Ive been wanting to build with Navy so I figured Id throw a few balances I was going to PIF just to throw some stuff their way. 0% intrest 12 months and no balance transfer fee on a ne 15k card.. Anyway I also figured I would app for Disco. They approved me for 1k... I have an Amex @ 16.5k a Citi @ 15.5k and now This Navy @15k. I feel like telling Discover thanks but no thanks. Whats your guys thoughts? Will it still show as an account on my History?

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Discover Approval but I dont think I want it now..

The account and inquiry will show up.

With Discover, it is all about the offers. Did you get cashback match 1st year? If so, 10% on groceries (now), gas (Q2) and restaurants (Q3) can't be matched anywhere.

Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

It can and will grow. Just stick with it.
Message 3 of 21
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Your decision OP, but I would agree with the others. Often times people quantify their 'higher' SLs like a castle on a hill and either feel slighted or ego-bruised for getting approved for something lesser than expected. Sometimes that's just how things turn out.

Bottom line, they're all loans on plastic and Discover can potentially grow. There was likely a reason why you applied for it in the first place. Personally, I would stick with it, but you do what's best for you.
Message 4 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe that I got the cash match, I cant find it though in the documentation that came with the card. There also appears to be 0% intro APR on it.

Message 5 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hope on chat and tell them that you were trying to do a balance transfer and that the 1k limit will make your utilization high and is there anything they can do to increase the limit so you can do your bt. Don’t know your profile but it worked for me.
Message 6 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your approval !!!!!

Message 7 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover is a keeper card with SP CLI requests.  Don't close it.

Message 8 of 21
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

As @FinStar eluded egos certainly get hurt with discover and I am one of those.. Although my scores are in the 800's and have credit cards with limits up to 50k and average around 20kish Discover gave me a 5k approval last time.  Does it suck yep sure does I just accept I still am not their target audience and use them for their double cashback on 5% cats only.  Card is up to 10.5k now through combination, but still very low to others with what I wonder how they got say a 12k instant approval by discover, but it is just how they work.  I haven't got a CLI going on 6 months now either and it truely makes me mad, but i it is just business to them and they know I won't use much of the CL that I already have when approved and now they SP me and see what kinda available credit I have and must not think I need more as the risk isn't worth the small reward to them is how i see it.  Just business although they certainly do raise my blood pressure trying to figure them out Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Turns out the congrats was a bit early, I took Aladdinn22 's advice and  walked out with a rescinded offer by discover and an account review on my other card for "potential" fraud... So theres that, new guy looking to impress the Boss? He flipped the script on me when I asked about increasing the credit limit before I activated the card... Im so freaking p******** right now. I moght close my other even if they dont. On the bright side, I got an Amex gold offer with 50 k points on 2 k spend in 3 months.... so I dont know what the heck to do

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.