Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Approval then CLD on first card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover Approval then CLD on first card

Got pre approved for Discover card yesterday and was approved for $6000 after verification. Then I get an email that stated they reduced my limit decreased by $500. I never carry a balance and heavily use it. Has this happened to anyone else?? The one the CLD was a graduated secured card but have 100% payment history and no derogatory except one 5 year old repo on Transunion. They stated the repo on the CLD but they approved me for the card via Experian. Ugh. I guess I should combine them when possible. Please share your experiences. Thanks in advance and I know I need to stay in the garden this time.
Quicksiler- $200-$500
Quicksilver 1 (AU) $1000-$5000
Amex ED- $500-$1000
Midas/Car Care One- $1000-$6000
Walmart- $200-$6000
CareCredit-$6500
Discover$- $200-$1000————CLD$500 5/20/19
Kohls- $700-$1500-$2500-$3000–5/18/19(auto)
Credit One- $300-$700–CLOSED
Overstock-$1050-$1850-$5650-$12365 5/17/19
NFCU CR-$500-$1500-$4500 04/2019 CLI
NFCU CR (AU)- $3700
NFCU CLOC- $500-$7500-$15000
NFCU PLAT- $8900-$15000-$23000-05/2019 CLI
PayPal MC 2%-$700-$2100-$6200—04/2019 CLI
Penfed Thrifty- $500
Marvel- $1000
Amex RG-NPSL
Macy’s-$5000-$8000
Old Navy Visa-$1000 5/20/19 APPROVED
Discover#2 $6000 5/19/19 APPROVED
TU- 685 w/44 inq EQ- 703 55 inq EX 717 64 inq
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover Approval then CLD on first card

Congrats on the approval and great SL!  Sorry to hear about the CLD on the first card. I don't have any experience with that. 

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

interesting ,, im kinda new to Disco but really like the card but this is a tad bit of sad news,,, AJC should chime in he is the resident Disco expert.

Message 3 of 11
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Glad to Hear About #2 Approval! Sorry OP on The $500 CLD

I'm guessing you hit The Internal Limit with Discover, (for what the will extend you)

and it was a Rob Peter to Pay Paul Thing.

Message 4 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Congrats on a stellar approval. You have legendary inquiries lol. That puts @Anonymous to shameSmiley Wink

Seriously, we dont see Discover clding much if at all unless someones credit profile has taken a turn for the worse. Being it was on the previously secured card i wouldnt worry too much , its possible as Smartie mentioned you hit your max limit for the moment, but i would take it as a sign to take a break for a couple monthsSmiley Happy.

Wonderous thing how only Discover can make an AJC Special a positive AND a negative😳
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
. They stated the repo on the CLD but they approved me for the card via Experian. Ugh. I guess I should combine them when possible. 

Disco doesn't CLD from what I've seen over the years.  This sounds more like a credit shift from the original account to the new account.  

When you're eligible for a CLI through the online portal is when you can combine the limits with them with a phone call. Don't accept the CLI online before calling them to combine and you'll be good.  While you're on the phone you can ask them for a CLI after they merge the 2 accounts into a single account.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Grats on your new score! Not heard of Discover credit line reducing before. As other posters mentioned, upon review they may have adjusted for the max they are comfortable with at this time. Likely you can make up for it in a CLI not to far down the road.
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I called the number where it stated about the reasoning and it was stating a delinquent account from 2014 on a voluntary repossession (on Transunion only) and to new account history. (1.2 years AAC) He overviewed my report and said he can’t change the decision. He informed me after 90 days with the new card I can combine the 2 accounts and that’s what he recommended. I just hate how this company (AutoMax) keeps marking as paid loss and profit then deletes that and reports it again making it look like it’s a new occurrence. He said after further review he can tell it’s old and about to fall off but the mere presence of it on my report won’t allow him to make the change. He said they approved me for the higher limit because approvals are Experian and that’s a clean report vs CLI and CLD is done on Transunion. Thought I would spread the word he said it’s systematic when something pops up on your report just crazy happened the day after the other approval.
Message 8 of 11
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
I called the number where it stated about the reasoning and it was stating a delinquent account from 2014 on a voluntary repossession (on Transunion only) and to new account history. (1.2 years AAC) He overviewed my report and said he can’t change the decision. He informed me after 90 days with the new card I can combine the 2 accounts and that’s what he recommended. I just hate how this company (AutoMax) keeps marking as paid loss and profit then deletes that and reports it again making it look like it’s a new occurrence. He said after further review he can tell it’s old and about to fall off but the mere presence of it on my report won’t allow him to make the change. He said they approved me for the higher limit because approvals are Experian and that’s a clean report vs CLI and CLD is done on Transunion. Thought I would spread the word he said it’s systematic when something pops up on your report just crazy happened the day after the other approval.

If its not paid then they can update it to keep your Fico depressed its a weapon to try and force you to pay them off before you obtain new credit. If its been paid then once its at 0 balance all updates need to cease per CRA rules. The DoFD sets the amount of time it can remain onfile. Grats on your new unsecured card. I would just cancel out the first one as it started as a secured to begin with its likely range bound as far as CLI is concerned.

Message 9 of 11
tbque
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the new Disco and sorry about the CLD!

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.