Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover CLI $500 Whoop!

tag
ultimaterewardsguy357
Regular Contributor

Discover CLI $500 Whoop!

This was strange and was hoping for a negative. Anywho, I logged on to my Discover account online (3-month relationship) and tried my hand at the CLI button and to my surprise "Congratulations, you have been approved for a credit line increase of $300!". It was an amazing increase and I could only be grateful as I heard YMMV scenarios on the blogs. My goal this year was to put my monthly spending on the card for 6  months until I got at least a $3K CLI by the end of the year.

When I applied back in December, I  was approved with a $500 CL and I have spent $600 in the January statement and $900 in the February statement. I had a few derogs which have fallen off and tackling some of the last two baddies. I was expecting a $500 increase, but baby steps and patience in the building credit game. My scores have increased since I was issued the card to what I have today: 649 EX/632 EQ/675 TU. I currently have a 0% UTI. $5 reports on my Discover and the rest are always PIF w/ $0 balance.

Oh, one more thing, I was nearing my credit line and $360/$500, just scheduled a $300 payment to knock the balance down in two or three days since my statement won't cut until the 23rd, and I was showing $14/$500 available credit because I had charged my student loans via PLASTIQ a few minutes prior.

Update: I just got off the phone with Discover, I love their customer service - very personable and the wait was between 2-4 minutes but they were polite. 'We looked at your credit report and it looks like we can grant you an additional $200. Your new credit line is $1,000 effective immediately. Is there anything else we can do for you?" I thank him and thanked Discover for an amazing long-lasting relationship. I plan on putting my monthly spending on the card within the next 6 months and continue to pay the card off in full every month with a zero balance. Maybe aim for $1K CL by June and another $3K CLI by October?

10/23/2023 [FICO Score 8] EX: 768 TU: 761 EQ: 777

Future Cards:
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover CLI $300 Whoop!

Call in and see if they will give you more I got additional 750 for calling in

Message 2 of 15
ultimaterewardsguy357
Regular Contributor

@Chandler455 was it a hard pull? What was your relationship with them like? I'll give it a shot and get back to y'all...

Future Cards:
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your increase. The discover double dip is typically an sp. 

Message 4 of 15
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your CLI!

Message 5 of 15
Dreams_Come_True
Regular Contributor

Re: Discover CLI $500 Whoop!

Congrats on your CLI! 🎉

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the DD op!

Message 7 of 15
ultimaterewardsguy357
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats on the DD op!

Thanks! I am ashamed to say when I first spoke to the rep, when asked how much more I would like I panicking said $200 more dollars when I should have asked for $800 more but baby steps is the name of the game when credit building and patience is my shield. I learned my lesson about not asking for more haha next time! $300 or $500 is a win in my book.

Future Cards:
Message 8 of 15
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@ultimaterewardsguy357 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats on the DD op!

Thanks! I am ashamed to say when I first spoke to the rep, when asked how much more I would like I panicking said $200 more dollars when I should have asked for $800 more but baby steps is the name of the game when credit building and patience is my shield. I learned my lesson about not asking for more haha next time! $300 or $500 is a win in my book.

Congratulations on your double dip. No shame, 1st time we're all novices and it's akward. It gets better with practice and experience. Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 15
cr101
Established Contributor

congrats, and yes, i love discover's customer service. thought about moving my savings to them just bc of that, but got better rates elsewhere.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.