Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover CLI, Don't get your hopes up ^__^

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover CLI, Don't get your hopes up ^__^

I tried for a CL increase a month ago...they denied......waited another month hit it again...just got a 2400 increase.....so maybe try in another month?
Message 11 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for reminding me. I've been requesting for 6 months and been getting the insufficient bs every month. Well... "Not today!"

Screenshot_2019-05-06 Discover Card Credit Line Increase Confirm Amount.png

Message 12 of 22
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@VanderSnoot wrote:
Got my letter: insufficient experience with current CL. I only use it for the categories, which amounts to a lot during the supermarkets quarter and not much at other times. Are phone calls helpful? It probably cant hurt.

I tried calling when I wasn't getting any CLI for the first year. They took the same info as the online tool and said it was not approved. I assume they use the same algorithm. She asked if I want to request a hard pull CLI, I said no.

Have either of you guys tried changing your spending habits on the card? If the same kind of spend isn't getting you a CLI, maybe you need to chage it up and increase spending (or maybe even decrease, who knows lol). My point being, if all other factors are the same-ish, the end result will also be the same. I only got a $200 increase last month, and they said that was the best they could do. So I decided to increase my use and spending (have had to pay it off a few times) and then let it post with a high balance yesterday. Requested a CLI today (31 days since the last) and got approved for $500. Not huge, but I was only at $1,000 CL (50% increase) and also thought I'd get nothing, so I'm going to continue using it heavily to see if I keep getting more.

Message 13 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

My first increase was 700$ 60 days ago. I really do not know how you guys build limits so high with this company.

Time and you aren't allowing enough to pass.

You just said that you got a CLI 60 days ago, which is very recent.  I'm not sure you or anyone can reference any other lenders outside of Discover that you'd be unhappy with or feel expectations weren't met with if they didn't give you another (SP) CLI 60 days after once was received.  My suggestion would be to sit tight and allow some time to pass.

Message 14 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@VanderSnoot wrote:
Got my letter: insufficient experience with current CL

I think that Verbage only has to do with time, I believe another Savvy poster (BBS) pointed that out to Me.

I used to interpret it differently or should i say "wrong interpretation"

100% correct above.  Insufficient experience with current limit refers to how long you've had that limit, not how much you spend.  You could spend $0 or $5 per month for the next 3-4 months and that's no "worse" in terms of experience with limit than if you were spending $500/mo.  On your profile for whatever reason Discover is looking for more time to pass before you receive another CLI.  

Message 15 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I tried for a CL increase a month ago...they denied......waited another month hit it again...just got a 2400 increase.....so maybe try in another month?

You can try as often as you'd like, but I think it's a bit aggressive and/or a bit of an unrealistic expectation to try for a CLI again a month after receiving one and hope to get another.  By all means go ahead and try; I've tried as often as weekly... just don't be upset or think you're missing out if you are denied and even if you go 3-4 cycles without anything.

Message 16 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

My first increase was 700$ 60 days ago. I really do not know how you guys build limits so high with this company.

You just said that you got a CLI 60 days ago, which is very recent.  I'm not sure you or anyone can reference any other lenders outside of Discover that you'd be unhappy with or feel expectations weren't met with if they didn't give you another (SP) CLI 60 days after once was received.  My suggestion would be to sit tight and allow some time to pass.

I didn't get an increase for 1 year and a month even though I managed my card perfectly. And afterwards all I got was a 700$ and 300$ when Bank of America gave me 3X and Chase was approving me for 6.5k, 10k limits. My Amex has a 10k+ spending power. I am not dissappointed about the frequency of the increase, simply the amounts and my overall limit. 

Message 17 of 22
VanderSnoot
Established Contributor

And I'm not actually unhappy about it. I've been reading about CLIs on this site and decided to request one. I chose my Discover card because the CL is significantly lower than my other cards, I've had the card for over 10 years, and they gave me one CLI sua sponte around 5 years ago (from $500 to $5k). I asked, they said no. This board helped me to interpret their response of "insufficient experience" as likely to mean that I don't use the card enough, which I don't, because I only use it for the categories. I won't change that habit because it doesn't make financial sense for me to use the card outside of the 5% categories. So, it's perfectly fine. I wrote simply to add some dp's to analyze.

Message 18 of 22
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I didn't get an increase for 1 year and a month even though I managed my card perfectly. And afterwards all I got was a 700$ and 300$ when Bank of America gave me 3X and Chase was approving me for 6.5k, 10k limits. My Amex has a 10k+ spending power. I am not dissappointed about the frequency of the increase, simply the amounts and my overall limit. 

Yeah, I don't blame you. I have seen some large Discover increases around, with seemingly no rhyme or reason. However, I'm convinced there is a pattern somewhere. I've seen mentions of balance transfers and large balances triggering positive outcomes on CLI, so there must be a correlation there. There's also another correlation that if you have other cards with higher balances, Discover doesn't bother with CLI. Since I'm still getting double match, my added spending still makes sense, even in the non-categories. Plus my QS only has a $500 limit, so there's only so much I can do with that. Some people have had better luck with a second Discover card, if your first Discover seems bucketed.

Message 19 of 22
SummerOf17
Regular Contributor

I finally got my third CLI, and guess what? It is a whooping 300 as well Smiley Sad. Called to speak with the rep, still no cigar Brought me up to 4900. Started with 1300 on this card for more than 5 years, always on time. Does not matter what I have tried: no balance, high balance, big spend, no spend, nothing works...... They do bombard me with 0%/12 Mo BT offers all the time...
Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.