Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover CLI HUGE!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover CLI HUGE!

So, my discover card went from 2700-3300, which is crap, but i still have 2 collections falling off soon. My wifes card just went from $4500 to $18,880. This was without request. She has had the card for 1 year. Her TU score was 767 with 1 inquiry. Has anyone ever seen this happen? Thats one hell of an auto increase. Her largest card beofre that was $16,000 with AMEX.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Discover CLI HUGE!

Wow, that is a nice increase. Congrats to DW!

Keep checking on your Discover increases. I count about 7 increases of $500 or zero on my Discover Card since the last sizeable increase. Checking for mine at just over 90 days intervals.  It was $5k for a long time, now up to $16k, so just keep working it. 

Good luck with your continued rebuild too. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is usually called the prybar effect -- when one prime bank sees another prime bank has given you a strong credit limit, they may move to match or beat it or at least get into the same range.

Chase, Amex, Discover, etc -- they all seem to compete in giving out CLIs to try to match what other banks give you.

Note that store cards and most CU credit limits aren't part of this.  So if Sync or NFCU gives you $30,000 limits, Chase will usually roll their eyes at it.  But if Amex gives you a $30,000 limit, you may see other prime banks jumping your limits up, too.

High limits beget higher limits.

Message 3 of 13
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

I don't believe that's necessarily a true statement with regard to the NFCU - Chase comparison, granted there are other variables at play that make the final determination.

My cousin, who has high CLs with a bunch of CUs, was recently approved for the CSR and was given a fairly similar CL to PenFed and NFCU. His Discover CL was much lower than PenFed as compared to the other tradelines listed.
Message 4 of 13
JoeLuvsHisCredit
Valued Contributor

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW Congrats Smiley HappySmiley HappySmiley HappySmiley Happy

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations to your DW for the disco increase! Disco does seem to dole nice CLI for some and others not as much. I have read ont hese forums both sides. IMHO, if on the slow track, stick with and use the link to help keeps the dates for your CLI's https://www.timeanddate.com/date/dateadd.html

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

How cow, now that's an Auto Increase.

Message 7 of 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

That is an auto increase of creditcal proportionsSmiley Happy. Awesome jobSmiley Happy
Message 8 of 13
sdsoccerdad
Established Contributor

Congrats to her!  I received my first increase after 2 months but for only $500.  LOL

Personal Cards:

Business Cards:

Started my journey in the high 500's 10/1/2016
Current Fico: EQ:740 | TU:757 | EX:775
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since it hasn't been mentioned yet, since this was an auto-CLI the possibility exists that there is still more money sitting on the table and if the CLI button is clicked online another instant CLI may be given.  It never hurts to try, so maybe DW would like to go for it as to further increase her already obnoxious CLI amount.  Doing so could cement a GOAT record Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.