Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover IT 3k approval!!

tag
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Re: Discover IT 3k approval!!

Congrats!
Amex triple pulled me. I was approved based on TU.
696 TU Fico.
I had an old paid CO from 2008 on my report and got approved for $3500.

I applied for Discover and Amex the same restless evening and got approved for BOTH.
I'd go for it before the new Discover reports!

Good luck, and I hope you get an Amex!:-)
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 31 of 36
nyancat
Established Contributor

Re: Discover IT 3k approval!! Chances of AMEX BCE approval?

@jbrickbm wrote:

I appreciate all the congratz,  anyone know if I have a good chance to get approved for amex bce if approved for Discover?  Or is amex a little harder to get?

Amex is way easier to get. I have over ten times the credit limit with Amex I have with Discover!

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 32 of 36
enharu
Super Contributor

@nyancat wrote:

@jbrickbm wrote:

I appreciate all the congratz,  anyone know if I have a good chance to get approved for amex bce if approved for Discover?  Or is amex a little harder to get?

Amex is way easier to get. I have over ten times the credit limit with Amex I have with Discover!

not necessarily true. 

Amex charge cards are easier to get than Discover, but their revolvers are not "way easier to get".

The only why one usually has a higher CL for Amex compared to Discover is only because Discover is extremely conservative (for good and bad reasons) with extending high CLs, as compared to Amex. It is easier to get a high CL for Amex with the 3x CLI feature. However there's always pros and cons for each lender.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 33 of 36
nyancat
Established Contributor

Discover barely approved me ($1500 instant approval), Amex gave me $15,600 (Costco TrueEarnings) instant approval. I'd say that means it's a lot easier to get credit with Amex Smiley Happy Discover gave me just over 1/3 of the starting limit I had with my first credit card ever! It was somewhat insulting.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 34 of 36
enharu
Super Contributor

Nyancat, I wish I could tell you why.

Discover gave me an initial CL of 9k, which was very surpising even for me. I was expecting a very low CL seeing how everyone's talking about how conservative / stingy they are. There are also people who got approved for Discover, abeit with a low CL, with 670ish scores. On top of that, there's other individuals on this forums that has 20-30k CL with Discover, so those people are have something that Discover likes.

On the other hand, rarely anyone with a 670 score gets approved for an Amex revolver, unless they have had a charge card or some type of Amex account for a while. Myself for instance, can't ever get approved for BCP either. :/

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 35 of 36
nyancat
Established Contributor

My FICO score is quite high - 758 according to Discover when I applied. All the score estimators online put me in the mid-to-high 700's as well. It's not all about the FICO score... I have no baddies, etc. Never missed a payment in my life.

Message 36 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.