Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover IT Approval, BOA Decline

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover IT Approval, BOA Decline

I have struggled lately to get out of the slump of having cards maxed out with higher interest rates. My cards became maxed out to pay for nursing school. Unfortunately, these cards have pretty high interest rates as well which makes it an endless cycle of my payment going straight towards interest with very little going to actually paying down my cards. I have been working to get cards with lower interest rates to do balance transfers from higher rate cards to ones with 0% intro rates. I was lucky to get a Citi Simplicity Card with a SL of only $1000 and an AMEX of $500 back in July. I have seen on the forums of Discover and BOA being the big ones to go with so I thought, why not try. I tried the preapproval for Discover and they gave a couple options of cards that would be a good fit. I applied, saying that I wanted to do a BT onto this new card for $3400 ($3500 including the BT fee). I was pleasantly surprised that it came back as Approved!!! It has a 0% APR for 15 months which gives me a great amount of time to be able to pay it down much quicker. One high rate card down, one more to go.

I then applied to BOA and unfortunately came back declined. I called to recon but they wouldn't budge. They said it was due to my high usage and they didnt want to take on that debt. Oh well. Maybe once I can get my other ones paid down I can try again.

My FICO shows as 673. No baddies.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover IT Approval, BOA Decline

Congratulations on your Disco approval. Check out Chase and see if you are pre approved for anything. Slate by Chase may be a good fit for your situation.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. I might do that.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!!! At least you got 1 out of 2, and not 0 out of 2.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is true. Something is better than nothing.

I checked Chase for any preapprovals and they didnt have anything. I will just leave it alone and just work on what I have and getting them paid down. Hopefully with the BT with Discover can help pay things down much quicker. $70 a month that is currently going towards interest will be nice having that go straight towards the balance each month.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.