Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover IT Approval with $4,500 SL - HP from Experian

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover IT Approval with $4,500 SL - HP from Experian

I was looking to add another credit card to my ever growing list of CC's. I decided to look at Discover Cards and see which one would be a good fit for me and I settled on the Discover IT. I had a Discover Card about 9 years ago and because back then I was an irresponsible kid, I defaulted on it and the account went to collections. I ended up paying off the collections years later and it was removed from my credit report shortly after. I was worried that Discover might still remember that instance and either deny me or start me with a low SL when I applied for a new credit card with them. My fingers were crossed !!

Tonight I went to their website and was preapproved for the Discover IT and Discover Chrome Cards. My income is around $90k/yr and I'm at 9% util with available credit of $153,000. My credit scores are: Transunion 780, Equifax 766, Experian 795...

When I applied I was asked to provide a copy of my DL, front and back, and a copy of my SS Card, for verification purposes. I submitted them and was then asked to call in to finalize the credit card application. After about a 6-7 minute wait on the phone with a helpful Discover Rep, I was approved for a $4,500 SL with a HP from Experian which resulted in a 7 point drop from 795 to 788. I was a bit confused as to why the starting line was so small but I was nevertheless happy to regain the relationship with a past bank in which I owed.

I hear Discover Cards can grow fairly quickly so I hope in a year or so I will be upwards of $10-15k with this card. 

Does anyone have personal experiences of growing their Discover IT card in a short period of time. Feedback would be very much appreciated.

Thanks !

16 REPLIES 16
LakeLife
Established Contributor

Re: Discover IT Approval with $4,500 SL - HP from Experian

Congrats on the approval!  I've had my Discover card since 2011 and just recently was approved for a CLI.  Before that they had given me two automatic CLIs over the years.  The recent CLI was the first I had ever asked for.  The automatics came when I was close to my CL and using the card heavily and my FICO scores were running from the high 600s to low 700s.  From what I understand on this forum is that Discover can be hit or miss.

Message 2 of 17
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Congrats. Ill have to disagree that 4.5 is a small sl as many of us here get lower and make it work. There is no magic button to make it grow faster but perhaps give it heavy spend so they see you need more. Youll know what kind of bucket you are in once you start getting cli. Good luck
Message 3 of 17
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

grats on the new Discover. 9% of 153K is still a lot of reported revolving debt even on your income level. 

Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@LakeLife wrote:

Congrats on the approval!  I've had my Discover card since 2011 and just recently was approved for a CLI.  Before that they had given me two automatic CLIs over the years.  The recent CLI was the first I had ever asked for.  The automatics came when I was close to my CL and using the card heavily and my FICO scores were running from the high 600s to low 700s.  From what I understand on this forum is that Discover can be hit or miss.

Thanks for your feedback. I'm pretty active on each credit card that I use and always either PIF at months end or keep around a 5-10% balance at statement time. I'm gonna keep that same pattern with my new Discover card and ask for increases every 6 months. I'll keep you posted on my journey ! ( Fingers Crossed ) Smiley HappySmiley Happy

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the approval! I love Disco and for some reason it's my favorite app with awesome customer service as well. 

Enjoy the new digs!!! Cheers!

Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gdale6 wrote:

grats on the new Discover. 9% of 153K is still a lot of reported revolving debt even on your income level. 

Smiley Wink I just recently added about $4k to my balances which brought me to 9% used because I am getting married and I wanted to capitalize on the rewards. Hopefully by June I will be back down to 4-5% utilization. Thanks for your feedback @gdale6.. ( Fingers Crossed )

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@LakeLife wrote:

I appreciate the feedback. What was your SL and what were the increase amounts for the automatic CLI's and the one you asked for.  

Smiley LOL Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 17
macinjosh
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I was looking to add another credit card to my ever growing list of CC's. I decided to look at Discover Cards and see which one would be a good fit for me and I settled on the Discover IT. I had a Discover Card about 9 years ago and because back then I was an irresponsible kid, I defaulted on it and the account went to collections. I ended up paying off the collections years later and it was removed from my credit report shortly after. I was worried that Discover might still remember that instance and either deny me or start me with a low SL when I applied for a new credit card with them. My fingers were crossed !!

Tonight I went to their website and was preapproved for the Discover IT and Discover Chrome Cards. My income is around $90k/yr and I'm at 9% util with available credit of $153,000. My credit scores are: Transunion 780, Equifax 766, Experian 795...

When I applied I was asked to provide a copy of my DL, front and back, and a copy of my SS Card, for verification purposes. I submitted them and was then asked to call in to finalize the credit card application. After about a 6-7 minute wait on the phone with a helpful Discover Rep, I was approved for a $4,500 SL with a HP from Experian which resulted in a 7 point drop from 795 to 788. I was a bit confused as to why the starting line was so small but I was nevertheless happy to regain the relationship with a past bank in which I owed.

I hear Discover Cards can grow fairly quickly so I hope in a year or so I will be upwards of $10-15k with this card. 

Does anyone have personal experiences of growing their Discover IT card in a short period of time. Feedback would be very much appreciated.

Thanks !

Congrats on getting back in with Discover!

I got my first Discover at the beginning of March 2018 with a starting limit of $4,500. 4 months later they auto CLI’d it to $6,300. In December I hit the luv button and got $500 more. About 2 weeks after my anniversary date this year I hit the luv button again and got bumped up to $10,200. It grows fast with decent to good spend.

Samsung Financing TD Bank $3,200

Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your approval and very nice SL

Welcome back to Disco Family

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.