Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover IT - Approved!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover IT - Approved!

This is a LONG post so skip down to the last 3 paragraphs if you want the approval details!

The road to getting new credit lines wasn't as bad as it could have been thanks to this forum. I have lived outside the US for over 5 years. Returned, settled in a new state then I was originally from. Got back into the US workforce, in the software industry. It's been 2 years now that I have moved back and hadn't had the need for credit. However, I would like to get a home in the some what near future. So I pulled my credit reports for the first time ever. Boy was I surprised. 2 of my reports had no score because it had been so long since I had credit. There were a couple HP from renting an apartment and a cable company. Also a couple old closed student loans.  

The real kicker was one of my credit reports (EX) had a TON of bad credit that was not mine. A lot of it from even when I was out of the country, like medical bills. I was shocked!! Come to find out I had what is called a mixed report where my report was mixed with someone else's. Come to find out it was two other people that lived in the state I was originally from. Both have the same name as me, or very similar. One was a lot older than me and the other was younger than me. Anyway, I had everything from medical bills, back child support, late mortgage payments, co-signed loans with my "wife", addresses and employers I never lived or worked at, it was pretty crazy.  I read that I might have to hire a lawyer to help out as mixed reports are difficult to resolve. Although, EX got sued a few years ago for $18 million for not helping someone with a mixed report, so they are a little more likely to help now days, plus a new law (government agency) was put into action to over see the credit agencies. 

I decided to try my luck myself and wrote dispute letters. It took a little over a month to hear back but evey single disputed wrong item on my report was removed the first time with no problems. There were a couple more online disputes to clean up minor things like addresses and employers. Then EX had no credit score because it was so clean like the other two reports. I was just happy they were clean and I could focus on building a credit history.

The first thing I did was apply to Alliant Credit Union and was approved for membership and started a savings account (this is not my primary banking institution). I then applied for a secure loan due to following the technique in this forum http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Adding-an-installment-loan-the-Share-Secu.... It worked beautifully bringing one of my scores from 0 to above 700 and another from 0 to high 600s. However, it has taken a while to be added to my EX report. (still waiting)

I was tired of waiting so I looked for CCs that pulled either TU and EQ. The one I wanted was Discover IT and I was happy to see that the majority of the time they pull EQ, which was my highest score. I nervously applied. They asked me to upload proof of address and identity as well. So I attached my latest bank statement with my current address and my social security card. I then got the dreaded 5-7 days message.

I was a little bummed but thought maybe since they asked for the supporting documents they just needed time to review them. Being so impatient I called Discover right then and asked the status. They checked my attached docs. Asked a lot more questions around identity then put me on hold. They came back and said I was APPROVED for a SL of $2500! Wow! What a great feeling!!

So now on my reports I have a Secured Loan that I have paid down to under 9% and now a new credit line with Discover for $2500. As soon as my EX report updates(ugh they are so slow for me) I will try for a couple more cards. I want to have a good credit mix and I see an installment loan and 3 revolving trade lines is what I need for optimal credit scoring. That is my goal. I think my next card will be the Citi Costco Card. I couldn't be happier that I am on the right track to building credit. This forum has been an amazing wealth of knowledge. Thanks everyone!

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover IT - Approved!

That's great man congratulations:]
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!!!! This card is on my wishlist!

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations!  I was also just approved for the it card @2500. Costco citi visa gave me 5500. I'm sure you'll do great!! 

Message 4 of 14
Vegas4Play
Valued Contributor

Congrats to you !!!

Fico 8's TU 756/ EQ 754/ EX 743- 8/2020// AAoA 5.7 years // Lines August 2020 = 619k Personal - Business 61k // Inquiries 6 TU - 0 Exp - 0 Eq.
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

This is a LONG post so skip down to the last 3 paragraphs if you want the approval details!

The road to getting new credit lines wasn't as bad as it could have been thanks to this forum. I have lived outside the US for over 5 years. Returned, settled in a new state then I was originally from. Got back into the US workforce, in the software industry. It's been 2 years now that I have moved back and hadn't had the need for credit. However, I would like to get a home in the some what near future. So I pulled my credit reports for the first time ever. Boy was I surprised. 2 of my reports had no score because it had been so long since I had credit. There were a couple HP from renting an apartment and a cable company. Also a couple old closed student loans.  

The real kicker was one of my credit reports (EX) had a TON of bad credit that was not mine. A lot of it from even when I was out of the country, like medical bills. I was shocked!! Come to find out I had what is called a mixed report where my report was mixed with someone else's. Come to find out it was two other people that lived in the state I was originally from. Both have the same name as me, or very similar. One was a lot older than me and the other was younger than me. Anyway, I had everything from medical bills, back child support, late mortgage payments, co-signed loans with my "wife", addresses and employers I never lived or worked at, it was pretty crazy.  I read that I might have to hire a lawyer to help out as mixed reports are difficult to resolve. Although, EX got sued a few years ago for $18 million for not helping someone with a mixed report, so they are a little more likely to help now days, plus a new law (government agency) was put into action to over see the credit agencies. 

I decided to try my luck myself and wrote dispute letters. It took a little over a month to hear back but evey single disputed wrong item on my report was removed the first time with no problems. There were a couple more online disputes to clean up minor things like addresses and employers. Then EX had no credit score because it was so clean like the other two reports. I was just happy they were clean and I could focus on building a credit history.

The first thing I did was apply to Alliant Credit Union and was approved for membership and started a savings account (this is not my primary banking institution). I then applied for a secure loan due to following the technique in this forum http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Adding-an-installment-loan-the-Share-Secure-technique/td-p/4506756. It worked beautifully bringing one of my scores from 0 to above 700 and another from 0 to high 600s. However, it has taken a while to be added to my EX report. (still waiting)

I was tired of waiting so I looked for CCs that pulled either TU and EQ. The one I wanted was Discover IT and I was happy to see that the majority of the time they pull EQ, which was my highest score. I nervously applied. They asked me to upload proof of address and identity as well. So I attached my latest bank statement with my current address and my social security card. I then got the dreaded 5-7 days message.

I was a little bummed but thought maybe since they asked for the supporting documents they just needed time to review them. Being so impatient I called Discover right then and asked the status. They checked my attached docs. Asked a lot more questions around identity then put me on hold. They came back and said I was APPROVED for a SL of $2500! Wow! What a great feeling!!

So now on my reports I have a Secured Loan that I have paid down to under 9% and now a new credit line with Discover for $2500. As soon as my EX report updates(ugh they are so slow for me) I will try for a couple more cards. I want to have a good credit mix and I see an installment loan and 3 revolving trade lines is what I need for optimal credit scoring. That is my goal. I think my next card will be the Citi Costco Card. I couldn't be happier that I am on the right track to building credit. This forum has been an amazing wealth of knowledge. Thanks everyone!

Congratulations!...Thanks For Sharing.Smiley LOL

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Congratulations!  I was also just approved for the it card @2500. Costco citi visa gave me 5500. I'm sure you'll do great!! 

Good to know! Do you know what report citi pulled? Thanks!

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations on your new Discover card and welcome to the Discover family! Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your awesome approval!  Enjoy! Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone. It's a great feeling for sure!

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.