Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover IT Cash Back Approval, Disappointing Limit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover IT Cash Back Approval, Disappointing Limit

Just applied for the Discover IT Cash Back card today.  Asked for Driver License upload during online app, which I did.  Then it asked me to call for immediate verification.  Once I called they asked a few more identity verification questions, put me on hold for a minute, then came back and said I was approved. 

I'm happy to have been approved, but I'm a little disappointed that the SL was only $3,500.  I have excellent credit, low utilization, and all of my other accounts are between 14k-45k limits.  

This is my first and only Discover card, the rest of my cards are Visa/MC/AMEX.  Does Discover usually come in with a low CLI like this for new cardholders?  I asked them and they said I would have to try for a CLI in 3 months, so I guess I'll just need to see if I can get a CLI every few months without a HP.

20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover IT Cash Back Approval, Disappointing Limit

Congrats on your approval!! Your SL is not a bad one, and Disco tends to grow quickly.
Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!

Should I wait on Auto CLI's, or should I set a reminder to call every 3-6 months to request one?  They said the soonest they will consider is 3 months from now, and that it would probably be a SP on my report.  

I'm curious how quickly and in what increments they will increase the CLI.  If anyone has any personal experience, I'd love to hear it!

Message 3 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks!

Should I wait on Auto CLI's, or should I set a reminder to call every 3-6 months to request one?  They said the soonest they will consider is 3 months from now, and that it would probably be a SP on my report.  

I'm curious how quickly and in what increments they will increase the CLI.  If anyone has any personal experience, I'd love to hear it!

There is a rather lengthy thread about others experiences with Discover here is the link. https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Discover-unOfficial-Data-Points/m-p/4802538#M167800
Message 4 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

There is a rather lengthy thread about others experiences with Discover here is the link. https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Discover-unOfficial-Data-Points/m-p/4802538#M167800

Thanks tel12!  I'll check it out!

Been lurking MyFico for a long time, finally registered and posted today.  Looking forward to sharing my experiences with everyone and learning how I can maximize my credit!

Message 5 of 21
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the board and congrats on your Discover card approval Smiley Happy

They can grow pretty quickly and sometimes they are conservative at the initial approval and want to see what you will do with their card.

Message 6 of 21
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Welcome To myFICO Forums and

Discover likes to be in the drivers seat, They probably looked at your other cards "14k-45k limits." and figured,

backseat passenger at best!Smiley Indifferent

Message 7 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gdale6 wrote:

Welcome to the board and congrats on your Discover card approval Smiley Happy

They can grow pretty quickly and sometimes they are conservative at the initial approval and want to see what you will do with their card.

Thanks!  I'm reading threads now to see if anyone has had luck getting decent CLI's after certain spending patterns on their Discover, but so far it looks like there's no specific roadmap to get there.

I was just shocked at the low SL they gave me...haven't had a SL that low since my 3rd card over 13 years ago!

Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@M_Smart007 wrote:

Welcome To myFICO Forums

Discover likes to be in the drivers seat, They probably looked at your other cards "14k-45k limits." and figured,

backseat passenger at best!Smiley Indifferent

Thanks!  That makes sense...this is my first Discover.  I hadn't even given them a thought until today, but they definitely won't be in the driver's seat with a low SL like that!  LOL

Message 9 of 21
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Just keep reading up the more credit you have the lower the approval amounts usually are.  Tons on this forum have alot of high limit cards then apply for Discover to have an experience similar to yours.  My CL's are basically 10k-62k average of 25kish and first card I got with them was I think 1 or 2k and another card I got with them was 5k eventually combined and got a few cli's during way for a 15k cl..  So expect slow growth imo, but in a few years the limit will slowly get up there.  Just use them for 10% cb for first year and whatever else you can use for your benefit and see where the card takes you from there.  

Congrats regardless on the approval although a disappointing SL for yourself.  Just let it be known others with 800+ scores, high incomes, etc are in the same boat as you, so you aren't alone at least Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.