Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover IT Cash Back Approval, Disappointing Limit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover IT Cash Back Approval, Disappointing Limit

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

Just keep reading up they more credit you have the lower the approval amounts usually are.  Tons on this forum have alot of high limit cards then apply for Discover to have an experience similar to yours.  My CL's are basically 10k-62k average of 25kish and first card I got with them was I think 1 or 2k and another card I got with them was 5k eventually combined and got a few cli's during way for a 15k cl..  So expect slow growth imo, but in a few years the limit will slowly get up there.  Just use them for 10% cb for first year and whatever else you can use for your benefit and see where the card takes you from there.  

Congrats regardless on the approval although a disappointing SL for yourself.  Just let it be known others with 800+ scores, high incomes, etc are in the same boat as you, so you aren't alone at least Smiley Happy

If anything, I'm happy to hear that the low SL is not uncommon for others with excellent credit.  I'll try not to take it personally! Smiley LOL

Message 11 of 21
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

When i got approved approved for my Chrome card, they approved me for $1000. I was beyond p'od! I mean im used to getting $500 approvals, i even have a special named after me, how dare they belittle me like that! Only reason i kept the card is i just luv smashing luv buttons with zero consequencesSmiley Wink
Message 12 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@averagejoescredit

Looking forward to hitting the luv button in 90 days (or less if I get offered a CLI before then!)
Message 13 of 21
Bestman79
Contributor

We're in same boat, well almost. I too was approved today. SL is $5.5K, requested increase was told to try in 90 days. Congrats on the approval! Good luck on 90 day mark.
TCL=$534.9K
Message 14 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

They did me the same way, took a picture of my DL and then had to call, my SL was 6,500 which for me is good FICO 8 694, congrats on the approval though. I’m trying to get my credit up got denied on my increase at AMEX but still trying.

Message 15 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

They did me the same way, took a picture of my DL and then had to call, my SL was 6,500 which for me is good FICO 8 694, congrats on the approval though. I’m trying to get my credit up got denied on my increase at AMEX but still trying.

AMEX seems to approve my CLI requests as long as they're under 5k each time.  I have a reminder set to ask for a CLI every 6 months like clockwork.  Was able to get my original CL on my first AMEX increased 20k (so far) via CLI requests on a regular basis.

Message 16 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks I’ll keep that in mind started out low only 500 paid on time and raised me another 5 been at 1k for about 2 yrs now got a letter stating that although my score was a 698 they couldn’t do it and also no lates on any card.😡

Message 17 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks I’ll keep that in mind started out low only 500 paid on time and raised me another 5 been at 1k for about 2 yrs now got a letter stating that although my score was a 698 they couldn’t do it and also no lates on any card.😡

I've found that AMEX is big on your relationship with them.  My initial approval was for a SL of $25k, and I've been able to get them to steadily increase that over time to $45k.  I also have 2 business accounts with them (SimplyCash Plus & Platinum), and they recently approved me for a Blue Cash Preferred and have been offering me a different card/product each time I call them. 

I think my initial experience with them was good because I had strong credit already before applying (10 years of excellent credit before my first AMEX app). Then in the past 5 years I've been able to increase my CL's and add numerous other cards to get better rewards and perks.

Just keep on trying, every 6 months.  Maybe go for a percentage increase?  In my case, it was about 25% of my initial SL, so maybe try a CLI for $100-250 and see if they approve you?  My scores were in the high 700's before I even started my relationship with AMEX, so that's probably helped me a lot as well.

Message 18 of 21
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

Welcome to the board and congrats on your Discover card approval Smiley Happy

They can grow pretty quickly and sometimes they are conservative at the initial approval and want to see what you will do with their card.

Thanks!  I'm reading threads now to see if anyone has had luck getting decent CLI's after certain spending patterns on their Discover, but so far it looks like there's no specific roadmap to get there.

I was just shocked at the low SL they gave me...haven't had a SL that low since my 3rd card over 13 years ago!

Rules when dealing with Discover

Rule #1.  There is no logic when it comes to Discover. 

Rule #2.  Refer to Rule #1

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 19 of 21
MyFault
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the Disco card! I'm in the same boat as you and as others have already stated, Discover likes to be your main card. They saw your other limits/cards and decided you'll likely not use them, so they wouldn't offer a large CL to you.

Just use it, and you'll see it grow. Wait 3 months before requesting the first CLI, or 3 statements as some people have mentioned on here. Then you can request a CLI as often as you like. I've read that some people do it monthly, every couple weeks, whatever. It's always a SP so there is no harm no foul. It'll grow over time.

I'd personally like to see my Discover sitting around the $10k to $16k mark. But it'll never be my daily. I'm just maxing out the 5% categories when it makes sense, to utilize 10% for the first year and then it'll be a sock drawer/cash back when the 5% category makes sense for me, card.

|  
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.