Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover IT Harrowing Approval $4,000

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover IT Harrowing Approval $4,000

[THIRD EDIT: 6 days after I applied, I got my first email from Discover in the morning and the card was waiting for me when I got home! YAY! See this post for what it looks like.

FOURTH EDIT: I charged something on the card the same day I received it (02/20). On 02/29 I received a myFICO alert to a new account showing at Experian - this Discover IT card.

Not the color I chose - this is probably just the standard issue background image.

/EDIT]

Shortly after this AMEX BCE app, I applied for the Discover IT card. It was not an instant approval like that one, and I only found out I was approved 12 hours later by going to Discover's 'Check Status' page.

discover-approved.png

I would like to thank and blame sour amarettos, myFICO forums, and of course, @Birdman7 who provided emotional support during this difficult time.

I cold-apped on Discover's site around 3-4am. It was not an instant approval - I got the '5-7 day' message. I had just been approved for the AMEX BCE which also pulled EX, so I thought maybe I pushed it too far trying to get my 4th card with only 1yr 2mos revolving history.

I was 3 for 3 up to this point with instant approvals, so this kinda got me down. About an hour went by and I didn't receive an alert from Experian that Discover had pulled my report. This came quickly with the AMEX app - within minutes.

2 hours after the app I get the alert that Discover pulled my report. Still no email though. Another couple hours, still no email....

[FIRST EDIT: 4 days in - nothing.] I'm thinking all the usual worst things and decided to forget about it and be happy with my new $25,000 total credit limit across 3 cards.

So, yeah, that can happen with Discover and apparently it happens quite a lot. Many people report that they got an error page after trying the prequal - so did I. Just don't assume the worst.

• I had 2 cards showing at time of appproval and both were at 9% utilization. [Aggregate 9%, $1,214.99 of $13,500 TCL]
  • 1 INQ at EX from the AMEX app. EQ/TU have no scorable INQ's.
  • Discover pulled EX and 2 hours later the free (Basic) Experian credit monitoring reported the inquiry along with an EX 8 score drop from 732 to 724, or -8pts. (2 new cards today cost me -11pts total in INQ penalties.)
  • AoOA 2yr 2mo
  • AAoA 1yr 6mo
  • AoYA 1yr 2mo
Message 1 of 76
75 REPLIES 75
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: Discover IT Harrowing Approval $4,000

Congratulations on your approval!
Message 2 of 76
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Sweet, grats and welcome to the Discover family Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 76
Drwaz99
Established Contributor

Congrats, Cassie! 

Message 4 of 76
newfossil
Valued Contributor

Congratulations!

Starting score - May 2018

April 2021

AAoA - 1 year 6 months
Message 5 of 76
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations on your approval! 👍

Message 6 of 76
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yup I figured you were gonna get the approval. Grats!

Use it like you stole it for that 2% cash back after match! Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 76
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Congratulations!

Message 8 of 76
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! I want this card so bad.

Message 9 of 76
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats! I want this card so bad.

Don't worry, @AllZero  will be along to talk you into it 😂

Message 10 of 76
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.