Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover IT Miles Approval!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover IT Miles Approval!

I had applied to get a regular discover it card in Jan but was denied due to lack of credit history. Fast forward to now I decided as I'd like to travel and doing the math this card seemed best for my spending habits. Took a stab in the dark and was approved for $2,000 limit! If someone told me i'd qualify for this type of credit just last year around this time I'd have thought they were pulling my chain. Ok now that I have this I am in the garden for a while.

Also a big thanks to this and other sites like this for helping me get a understanding of credit and how to use it to my advantage.
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover IT Miles Approval!

Congrats! I was also approved 6 months after a denial (last year). Feels good! 

Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah it's very exciting!
Message 3 of 15
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats.. You faired better than I did.. I figured since my other discover stopped growing and the double cash stopped since it is over a year I would get a Discover Miles card... They gave me a whopping 1250 CL Smiley Sad..  When my average credit line is about 20k.. Discover is an odd bird for sure.  You did decent though so congrats on that!

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Congrats.. You faired better than I did.. I figured since my other discover stopped growing and the double cash stopped since it is over a year I would get a Discover Miles card... They gave me a whopping 1250 CL Smiley Sad..  When my average credit line is about 20k.. Discover is an odd bird for sure.  You did decent though so congrats on that!

That is quite strange. Then again I am fairly new to credit my oldest account is just a bit over half a year old now and from what I hear they like thin files.... then again who knows. What's the best strategy for getting CLI out of Discover?

Message 5 of 15
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

That is quite strange. Then again I am fairly new to credit my oldest account is just a bit over half a year old now and from what I hear they like thin files.... then again who knows. What's the best strategy for getting CLI out of Discover?

This is true they like thin files hence why people with thin files or right out of BK's usually get bigger CL's to start than people with alot of credit.  The reason I think that this is is they don't think they will be used much.  This makes sense in some ways and can understand their logic, but at the same time with say my 1.25k CL and I bring well into the 6 figures in per year how can I really use the card for even a big purchase, I can't.. So kinda a catch 22 so will use it for a few hundred a month on trival bills and hope for a few CLI's to get it to a useable 4-5k CL.  

With regads to best strategy for a CLI with discover there are many people think that big useage gets CLI and others that put 10 a month on it get big CLI's.  No one can figure out Discover, that is what partially makes them so frustrating.. You either get on their 30, 60, 90 day CLI wagon.. For you first CLI you always got to wait 90 days I believe then you should get one by SP and after that you will be able to most likely get one 30 day or 60 or 90 days, depending on what bucket you are in.. The Miles card I don't believe was impacted by the recent change discover made on the IT card w/regards to removing CLI's away from alot of people from what I have seen/heard from others that have the miles card..

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

This is true they like thin files hence why people with thin files or right out of BK's usually get bigger CL's to start than people with alot of credit.  The reason I think that this is is they don't think they will be used much.  This makes sense in some ways and can understand their logic, but at the same time with say my 1.25k CL and I bring well into the 6 figures in per year how can I really use the card for even a big purchase, I can't.. So kinda a catch 22 so will use it for a few hundred a month on trival bills and hope for a few CLI's to get it to a useable 4-5k CL.  

With regads to best strategy for a CLI with discover there are many people think that big useage gets CLI and others that put 10 a month on it get big CLI's.  No one can figure out Discover, that is what partially makes them so frustrating.. You either get on their 30, 60, 90 day CLI wagon.. For you first CLI you always got to wait 90 days I believe then you should get one by SP and after that you will be able to most likely get one 30 day or 60 or 90 days, depending on what bucket you are in.. The Miles card I don't believe was impacted by the recent change discover made on the IT card w/regards to removing CLI's away from alot of people from what I have seen/heard from others that have the miles card..

They've been removing peoples CLI?

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was denied last June for the secured card (I still kinda choke on that one). In December, I was approved for 1k for the unsecured IT. I was denied every cli attempt until April. Since April, I've received an increase every month ranging from 1.5K to 3K. Currentl limit at 7K. 

Ive only let the balance report twice: April $100 and May $200, but pif after statement cut. I charge approximately 10-15% monthly of my limit. 

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had recently been approved for a Capital One card and I let that get to my head so I threw caution to the wind and applied for a unsecured IT card and got denied full stop. Reconsideration line was like we do not reconsider when it comes to a short credit history. That sure put me in my place and made me a bit more patient in my credit journey which has now gotten me this card and limit which I never would have imagined I'd have just over a year ago.

Message 9 of 15
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

They've been removing peoples CLI?

They just aren't as generous as of lately with CLI due to people have been defaulting more with Discover in recent times thus it appears they are pulling back the reigns.  Other people have other thoughts on this.  People that have received CLI's have kept them, just not giving them out as much anymore

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.