Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover IT low score approval

tag
user979797
Established Contributor

Discover IT low score approval

My mother has been wanting a discover card despite not having a decent score now and being maxed out on other cards she holds.

She has 1 paid loan reporting 2 maxed out low limit cards reporting and 1 charged off secured loan.  Her income is 29K.

She attempted again to pre qualify last month and instead of a secured offer she got a Discover IT 0.00% for 15 months offer so she submitted and it came back approved for a 5K limit. She got the card and has used it successfully. I was beyond shocked that they would approve her with such low scores and with almost 100% utilization and a negative item reporting but they did so just thought I would share.

>
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
firefox100
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover IT low score approval

Congratulations to your mother that is very nice discover approval.

Message 2 of 9
padme
Established Contributor

you can usually get a 2nd miles card for 2x limit, you can pump em for a CLI every month if u wanna

Message 3 of 9
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

@user979797 wrote:

My mother has been wanting a discover card despite not having a decent score now and being maxed out on other cards she holds.

She has 1 paid loan reporting 2 maxed out low limit cards reporting and 1 charged off secured loan.  Her income is 29K.

She attempted again to pre qualify last month and instead of a secured offer she got a Discover IT 0.00% for 15 months offer so she submitted and it came back approved for a 5K limit. She got the card and has used it successfully. I was beyond shocked that they would approve her with such low scores and with almost 100% utilization and a negative item reporting but they did so just thought I would share.

CONGRATS!!!!!

If i am not mistaken i think the discover IT card also comes with a zero for 15 months bt offer. You mentioned your mom has a couple of low limit maxed out cards, heres an opportunity for her to bt those maxed out balances and pay them down with no interest. that is if she wishes.

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 4 of 9
SDMarik
Established Contributor

Congrats on her approval!

"When prosperity comes, do not use all of it"
Message 5 of 9
KingRue8500
Senior Contributor

Congrats on DM's Discover It approval

Message 6 of 9
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

WooHoo!! Congratulations on her Discover Approval!!👏🏼🍾🥂

Message 7 of 9
user979797
Established Contributor

Thank you everyone. She transferred her balances after the 14 day period and her score has already increased over 100 points just having those cards report 0% and having Discover report her largest CL ever. I am still stunned that they approved with such a low score but maybe this data point will help others in similar siutations.

>
Message 8 of 9
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congratulations on DM's Discover approval!

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (February 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.