Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover IT saved the day---Approved!

tag
marcforza1
Frequent Contributor

Discover IT saved the day---Approved!

Decided today was the day to try and see if I could get in with Amex for the Hilton Honors card with my FiCO 648 score and...unfortunately...got denied. When on the app status to see the reason why and all it said was it was due to my Fico score. Somewhat bummed about it but also understood that at 648, there was a slim chance I could make it through the Amex doors. But, I'm not the type who gives up so easily. 

I decided to take a gamble at Discover IT cashback card since I was preapproved for it several weeks ago for that and the Chrome card. Discover was not an option for me but the 5% rotation seems to be a good option. Tried for the app...waited about a minute...prayed to the credit card gods for something positive...and got approved for $1500 SL! I've read good things about CLI from Discover, so I'm going to make sure I take good care of that card and how I'm using it. Hopefully, they're a lot more generous than Cap1. 

Not bad for someone with a 648 score, 20% total util, 2 inquiries in the past year and 100% on-time payments since 2017. It goes to show that it's not always about the score considering I had a much lesser score when approved for the Slate and FU card over two years ago. I'm still set on getting the Amex HH card as stubborn as I am. And possibly the Green card if they actual do the update on it next month. But I'm going to wait a bit and do this gardening thing for my scores to get back up higher and try for the HH card in mid-October or November. I'm hoping that once I get the HH card, I can say goodbye to my Chase Slate and Cap1 QS1 card when I close them around January or March 2020. 

FICO 8 Scores 12/2017: EX-596; TU-604; EQ-591
Current: EX-648; TU-665; EQ-678
AAoA: 4.4 yrs
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Discover IT saved the day---Approved!

GratsSmiley Happy Disco be da bombSmiley Happy
Message 2 of 19
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

It really does pay to Discover. Smiley Happy

Congrats!

New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your approval! 

OT @AverageJoesCredit  glad the storm spared PR 👍🏽

Message 4 of 19
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Thank you @Anonymous , a major relief for sure🙂 I just hope all the people in FL, GA,etc will be ok.
Message 5 of 19
Cred4All
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the shiny new Discover Smiley Happy.

Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on Disco OP, and you’ll get that Amex sooner rather than later too. Go for the Surpass at least - it’s definitely worth it over the no-AF card for the much better earnings.
Message 7 of 19
marcforza1
Frequent Contributor

Thanks everyone! I'm sure that Discover pulled EQ and I know for sure that Amex pulled EX. I went with the copper brown design since almost all of my current cards are either blue or silver (except for my black Shell card). This will likely be my go-to card through Christmas for the online purchases, QS for food/restaurants, Shell for gas, FU for small $10-20 purchases and the QS1/Slate card will sit in the back part of my wallet. I really wanted the AMEX HH card but I know that I just need to stay patient a little longer and continue to stay the course like I have been all year. I do have a question about the CLI:

So with the CLI on Discover cards, is it every 6 months and is it done automatically or by request? And also, how often does Discover report to the credit bureaus? 

FICO 8 Scores 12/2017: EX-596; TU-604; EQ-591
Current: EX-648; TU-665; EQ-678
AAoA: 4.4 yrs
Message 8 of 19
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Congrats there man, Amex shot me down and Discover picked me up too. Enjoy!

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 9 of 19
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@marcforza1 wrote:

. I do have a question about the CLI:

So with the CLI on Discover cards, is it every 6 months and is it done automatically or by request? Yes, No, Maybe (u can ask everyday, huh? @AJC)

And also, how often does Discover report to the credit bureaus? Monthly, after your due date...maybe a few days.  Like clockwork.

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.