Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover IT secured approval. Grueling process

tag
torry590
Regular Contributor

Discover IT secured approval. Grueling process

Where to even begin... this is my 3rd attempt at a rebuild as I enter my 30s. My 20s were rocky to say the least. 

Fast forward to April 2020, serious about my rebuild and am in a stable position to do so. 

Tried the discover preapproval link and was preapproved for the secured. This was my goal rebuilder card so I applied and put the $200 deposit down on the 5th of April. The money cleared my account on the 12th and the card was in the mail on April 21st. 

I then receive an email wanting the dreaded 4506T form. Which was fine but I was nervous as I made more now than I did in 2018. Sent that in April 22nd. I still hadn't heard anything from them by the 1st of May, so I gave them a call. They told me with covid-19 going on, the IRS was slow. So they allowed me to upload my last 3 banking statements as an alternative. Did that within the hour. 

Received an email on May 7th that I passed the IRS verification and that my card was now unrestricted... not TWO HOURS later I get another email stating my account has again been restricted, this time for SSN verification/ID verification. OMG. 

I sent that information in on the 7th and today I received another email stating I passed the new verification and that my account was once again active and unrestricted. 

Whew, what a process but I am glad it's over. I am able to see my card online for the first time since I have had the account. To me this is a little much for a secured card and I feel like they were trying to give every reason to not give me the card lol. If this wasn't a card I really wanted due to the reviews, cash back, and graduation I would not have jumped through these hoops. 

As of 5/2021 EX8: 616 | TU8: 665 | EQ8: 662
First Premier $700 | Capital One Secured $500 | Discover It $1,000 (formerly secured)
Capital One Quicksilver $400 | Credit One Platinum $300 | Victoria's Secret $200
Express Next $500 | Williams Sonoma Store $400 | Brylane Home $250 | Chime Credit Builder NPSL
Walmart World Mastercard $300 | Aspire Mastercard $500 | Cerulean Mastercard $750
CFNA Bosch Car Care $800 | First Premier no AF $700 | Avant Mastercard $300 no AF
20 REPLIES 20
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Discover IT secured approval. Grueling process

Congrats on finally getting it done!
Message 2 of 21
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your approval!
Message 3 of 21
mrcraft
Valued Contributor

Congratulations!  Yeah, it's more than what most people go through, but I'm glad you got the card you wanted.  I started with a secured Discover.  It's a good card to start with.

Message 4 of 21
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congratulations on your Discover It secured approval!

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (February 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 5 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations! 

It’ll be worth it as that card does graduate and usually to a $2000 limit upon graduation. 

Message 6 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

... that card does graduate and usually to a $2000 limit upon graduation. 

Yup, makes it worth a bit more exertion on the front end. Smiley Wink Congrats! on seeing it through to the finish line. Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 21
torry590
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yup, makes it worth a bit more exertion on the front end. Smiley Wink Congrats! on seeing it through to the finish line. Smiley Happy

I totally agree. Because of the lag time with the IRS verification, I almost gave up. Especially that there was probably a difference in the income stated, but not by much due to them pulling back from 2018. I'm hoping my bank statements are what sealed the deal and made them more comfortable. 

I will cherish this card and reap the rewards and benefits. Hopefully it graduates within the first year, but I know they are unpredictable. 

As of 5/2021 EX8: 616 | TU8: 665 | EQ8: 662
First Premier $700 | Capital One Secured $500 | Discover It $1,000 (formerly secured)
Capital One Quicksilver $400 | Credit One Platinum $300 | Victoria's Secret $200
Express Next $500 | Williams Sonoma Store $400 | Brylane Home $250 | Chime Credit Builder NPSL
Walmart World Mastercard $300 | Aspire Mastercard $500 | Cerulean Mastercard $750
CFNA Bosch Car Care $800 | First Premier no AF $700 | Avant Mastercard $300 no AF
Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Usually 6-8 months time 

Message 9 of 21
RehabbingANDBlabbing
Established Contributor

@torry590 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I totally agree. Because of the lag time with the IRS verification, I almost gave up. Especially that there was probably a difference in the income stated, but not by much due to them pulling back from 2018. I'm hoping my bank statements are what sealed the deal and made them more comfortable. 

I will cherish this card and reap the rewards and benefits. Hopefully it graduates within the first year, but I know they are unpredictable. 

Most people are graduating in the first year and most do get the CLI. After you have had the card for a month, I would hop on the live chat and ask them to switch your card to the 5% ctageories rewards program, which will give you much better earnings than the one that comes with the secured card. I would definitely make use of the cash back match during the first year too, which you will get with the secured card. I think I got like $600 total in cash back during my first year, so it is definitely a good program if you stick with it.

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.