tag
torry590
Regular Contributor

Re: Discover IT secured approval. Grueling process

@RehabbingANDBlabbing wrote:

@torry590 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

... that card does graduate and usually to a $2000 limit upon graduation. 

Yup, makes it worth a bit more exertion on the front end. Smiley Wink Congrats! on seeing it through to the finish line. Smiley Happy

I totally agree. Because of the lag time with the IRS verification, I almost gave up. Especially that there was probably a difference in the income stated, but not by much due to them pulling back from 2018. I'm hoping my bank statements are what sealed the deal and made them more comfortable. 

I will cherish this card and reap the rewards and benefits. Hopefully it graduates within the first year, but I know they are unpredictable. 

Most people are graduating in the first year and most do get the CLI. After you have had the card for a month, I would hop on the live chat and ask them to switch your card to the 5% ctageories rewards program, which will give you much better earnings than the one that comes with the secured card. I would definitely make use of the cash back match during the first year too, which you will get with the secured card. I think I got like $600 total in cash back during my first year, so it is definitely a good program if you stick with it.

Thank you for the tip! I didnt know I could chat with them to get switched to the 5%. So I should definitely wait a month, or two just to be safe? 

As of 5/2021 EX8: 616 | TU8: 665 | EQ8: 662
First Premier $700 | Capital One Secured $500 | Discover It $1,000 (formerly secured)
Capital One Quicksilver $400 | Credit One Platinum $300 | Victoria's Secret $200
Express Next $500 | Williams Sonoma Store $400 | Brylane Home $250 | Chime Credit Builder NPSL
Walmart World Mastercard $300 | Aspire Mastercard $500 | Cerulean Mastercard $750
CFNA Bosch Car Care $800 | First Premier no AF $700 | Avant Mastercard $300 no AF
Message 11 of 21
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

Wow! They put you through the wringer! Glad you finally got it and good luck with the rebuild. 

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 12 of 21
RehabbingANDBlabbing
Established Contributor

@torry590 wrote:

@RehabbingANDBlabbing wrote:

@torry590 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

... that card does graduate and usually to a $2000 limit upon graduation. 

Yup, makes it worth a bit more exertion on the front end. Smiley Wink Congrats! on seeing it through to the finish line. Smiley Happy

I totally agree. Because of the lag time with the IRS verification, I almost gave up. Especially that there was probably a difference in the income stated, but not by much due to them pulling back from 2018. I'm hoping my bank statements are what sealed the deal and made them more comfortable. 

I will cherish this card and reap the rewards and benefits. Hopefully it graduates within the first year, but I know they are unpredictable. 

Most people are graduating in the first year and most do get the CLI. After you have had the card for a month, I would hop on the live chat and ask them to switch your card to the 5% ctageories rewards program, which will give you much better earnings than the one that comes with the secured card. I would definitely make use of the cash back match during the first year too, which you will get with the secured card. I think I got like $600 total in cash back during my first year, so it is definitely a good program if you stick with it.

Thank you for the tip! I didnt know I could chat with them to get switched to the 5%. So I should definitely wait a month, or two just to be safe? 

Yeah, I think you have to wait for your first statement to cut before you can switch, but many people have done it, including myself. You may even need to wait until the second statement, but it doesn't take long to check, so I would just keep asking. And I can confirm that you will get the cash back match even if you switch to the 5% program.

Message 13 of 21
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Congratulations!

Message 14 of 21
MrZero
Regular Contributor

Congrats! That's crazy that a 4506T request was issued over their secured card, what did you put in as your income?

I also need to put in a request to switch to the rotating 5% CB.

Updated 8/12/22.

Total Inquiries: EX: 1|TU: 1|EQ: 1
Derogs: 0
AAoA: 2Y1M
AoOA: 2Y6M.
AoYA: 1Y1M.
Total CL: 57,600
Utilization: ~1%

Message 15 of 21
torry590
Regular Contributor

@MrZero wrote:

Congrats! That's crazy that a 4506T request was issued over their secured card, what did you put in as your income?

I also need to put in a request to switch to the rotating 5% CB.

Nothing crazy. I put down 48k a year. On my return I think it may have had 44K on there from 2018, so that's why I was worried. It's more than that if I included my spouses income, but I knew discover was known for this so I only put mine. If I were to include my spouse it would be closer to 80k so I'm glad I didn't do that. 

To me its overkill for a secured card, but something must have tripped their algorithms. Discover seems to behaving oddly during all of this. 

First Premier $700 | Capital One Secured $500 | Discover It $1,000 (formerly secured)
Capital One Quicksilver $400 | Credit One Platinum $300 | Victoria's Secret $200
Express Next $500 | Williams Sonoma Store $400 | Brylane Home $250 | Chime Credit Builder NPSL
Walmart World Mastercard $300 | Aspire Mastercard $500 | Cerulean Mastercard $750
CFNA Bosch Car Care $800 | First Premier no AF $700 | Avant Mastercard $300 no AF
Message 16 of 21
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Congrats on good luck on your rebuild

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 17 of 21
cr101
Established Contributor

@torry590 wrote:

... They told me with covid-19 going on, the IRS was slow. So they allowed me to upload my last 3 banking statements as an alternative. 

congrats on your approval and decision to rebuild!

i would have preferred to submit the irs form vs having my cc company go over my banking history lol... i wonder if they have instructions to just confirm your income and not analyze your spending habits.

in regards to you switching to 5%, i'd try to do it asap. i can't remember if you have to wait a month. i think that it just doesn't take affect til the next billing cycle. so, best to contact now before this one ends.

Message 18 of 21
Jannelo
Frequent Contributor

Congratulations!   Great job getting approved. I really enjoy my Discover card with the 5 percent categories.  I've had it for about eight months now. 

Open Credit Cards:
Green Dot Primor Secured (5/18) - $450 CL (CLOSED 2/2020)
Capital One Platinum (8/18) PC to Quicksilver (9/19) - $3800 CL
Capital One QuicksilverOne (3/19) - $4800 CL
Merrick Bank DYL VISA - No AF (6/19) - $1400 CL
Discover it Cash Back (9/19) - $2800 CL
Amazon Prime Store Card (4/20) - $10,000 CL
NFCU cashRewards (4/20) - $4500 CL
BB&T Spectrum Cash Rewards (5/20) - $3500 CL
Navy Federal More Rewards American Express® Card (3/21) - $9700 SL - at 9.65 %.
Experian FICO Score - 8/2018: 528

Experian FICO 8 Score - 9/2022 - 720
Equifax FICO 8 score 2/2022- 692
TransUnion FICO 8 score 10/2022 - 728
Experian FICO Mortgage Score - 725
Message 19 of 21
torry590
Regular Contributor

@cr101 wrote:

@torry590 wrote:

... They told me with covid-19 going on, the IRS was slow. So they allowed me to upload my last 3 banking statements as an alternative. 

congrats on your approval and decision to rebuild!

i would have preferred to submit the irs form vs having my cc company go over my banking history lol... i wonder if they have instructions to just confirm your income and not analyze your spending habits.

in regards to you switching to 5%, i'd try to do it asap. i can't remember if you have to wait a month. i think that it just doesn't take affect til the next billing cycle. so, best to contact now before this one ends.

Hahaha, I didnt mind. I have quite a bit of ATM usage and it crossed my mind that they may have an issue with that or question it. But then I thought they probably wouldn't mind if the deposits added up to the stated income lol. I'm glad it turned out okay for me. 

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.