cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover It APPROVED After 2 years of resting my credit; rebuilding after horrible identity fraud

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover It APPROVED After 2 years of resting my credit; rebuilding after horrible identity fraud

Very happy man here and here is my story! 

So back in 2016/17 I would make freqent visit to Portland Oregon to visit my dad as he was sick, credit was great and things started to get better. Now I must tell you he wasn't the greatest man though. I say this because he had stole my identity back in 2012 and opened a couple account (credit cards/ bank accounts) in my name back in the state of Florida. 

Now dont get me wrong, we do have family but, this man's my father and it's my job to help take care of him no matter what. But while doing that, I was making a lot of trip to see him while having to pay some of his bill, my bills and basiclly bring myself into so much debit, I had no choice but to make hard choices such as overdrafting on my own bank account, using some of my lines of credit and maxing them out. Only paying the minimum on cards, using  my credti cards at ATM's to get cash  (paying high freaking interest  ) and so on. I just got to a point where my credit score went from 743 accross the board in 2014 to 2017 ,TU, EX and EQ was actually 732, to my scores being; TU 421, EX 449 and EQ a crazy sad 408,  in 2017, it just got bad. Now what was funny is I was wandering WHY my score was so absolutley low. I mean I didn't miss any payment, well I should say I didn't have any 60 or 90 day late payments. I didn't do any thing to have my credit drop so drasticlly. I just never paid any attention or applied to any cards or credit for that matter for 2 years because when I looked at the report in 2017, it wasnt that bad, but I new it was good since i was making minimum payments and misst a couple due dates.

But anyhow, jsut 4 to 5 months ago, my father finally passed away and it wasn't unit this pass July / August I came across a opened bank account I surely didn't open from Suntrust bank in Florida. After that, everyting started to come to light as I reviewed my CR/ Chexsystem and EWS report after i found out about the bank account. There where 2 Capital One cards opened (total 6000.00 owed), 1 Amex charged card (owed 11k), a Verizon CP account (owed 1200), Cap One bank account (-250.00) and a Chase Ck and Sav (-3000.00). To say I wasn't pissed at the world and felt like I was having a heartattack  is a understatement. Guys, after speaking with a Fraud Prevention Investagator at Amex, he new right off the bat I didn't apply for this card. Me and my father have the same name,h e's a JR, I'm a  (III) as well, most or 90% of the charges where dont online out of pattern with what I use with the one I already have already. Yes I already have a Amex.

Also, because of the aweful history with the cards that were opened, the cards I had already where close due to the fraud that was going on sadly. It was jsut bad I tell you. From July 2020 till just last week I FINALLY finished deleting EVERYTHING on my credit report, Chexsystem report and finishing up my dealing with EWS. My father seem to have sruck again and used my information to open ALL OF THOSE ACCOUNTS! It has been 2 to 3 months of pure HELL dealing with all of those companies. There wre times I felt like I was having heart attacks as I mentioned before durning the 2 to 3 month and countless night of not getting sleep as I was stressig out over all this. Having my father passing wasn't helping either and I didn't know how to feel about my sistuation. 

But now that all is erased, all that is showing on my report is a passed close in good standing cc I had while in graduate school and a auto loan that paid off from 4 years ago. Now last time TU 421, EX 449 and EQ a crazy sad 408,  in 2017 , it is looking like this since stuff (bad items) got removed finally. TU 652, EQ 635 and EX  653 I'm feel at least good but not satisfied. 

Long story short! I was approved for 4000.00 w/ 14 month 0 interest and 11% interest after the 14 months. So very happy and will shoot for ather flyer cards and cash rewards after I get settled with Discover!

Thanks for all the help and advice guys

(Mod cut)

Message 1 of 1

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover It APPROVED After 2 years of resting my credit; rebuilding after horrible identity frau

Congratulations on your Discover approval!! 

Sorry about your dad 

Message 2 of 22
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Re: Discover It APPROVED After 2 years of resting my credit; rebuilding after horrible identity frau

Congratulations on your Approval..

Message 3 of 22
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Grats and welcome to the board Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 22
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Im truely happy to see you overcame all that. Hit close to home . Thankfully my Dad wasnt like that but what we would do for our parents despite faults. Im currently trying to help my Dad and i could have paid off my cc debt  but instead gave all my money to my Dad to help ease his burden. Thankfully i got back my job but im basically where i was precovid. 

Discover is a great card and i wish you better things going forwardSmiley Happy. This community will definetly be there for support so dont be a strangerSmiley Happy AJC

Message 5 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! You overcame a lot. 

Message 6 of 22
JoeLuvsHisCredit
Valued Contributor

Congratulations

Message 7 of 22
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congratulations on your Discover approval!

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (April 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 8 of 22
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your approval!
Message 9 of 22
flexin222
Regular Contributor

Whoa, what a story Ruthford8! Glad you came out of it with the sun shining and I know your dad is looking on you proudly. It's the journey that counts and you're smelling like roses or great tasting beer...Congrats!!!

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.