Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover It Approval

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover It Approval

I've been receiving Discover pre-approvals from the mail every week (from personal loans to credit cards). More recently, I got a pre-approval offer for their new "It" card. I've been thinking about transfering my balance from my Macy's card and taking advantage of their 0% introductory offer, so I can finally start paying down my balance without their high 24.50% APR. I got it down to below $2,000, but since this past Christmas season, I racked up another $500 worth, bringing it to around $2,500. I since got it down to $2,300, which was my balance transfer request. I applied online after researching non-stop about the benefits. I figured I should be okay since my last inquiry was Feb 2012 from HSBC (Best Buy for a TV purchase). I also had no clue what my credit score was or anything. I got the "...wait 5-7 days" message after applying. After reading some of the tips here, I went ahead and called them. A CSR transfered me to a credit analyst. He asked me several questions, from my job history, income, and why I'm applying for the card. To my surprise, he approved me for $6,000! He asked me if that was okay, and I said,"Yes!" I just didn't expect to get that much, let alone, the amount of transfer I had requested.

Now, I have a couple questions. First, I know I signed up for the 0% APR for balance transfers and purchases for 14 months, but is there a way to change that to their 0% for 18 months for transfers offer? Should I just call and ask? Second, do they send you your credit score/report along with your card? I'm just curious as to what my credit score I got approved for a high amount. This is my first Discover card. I have a Capital One Platinum Visa, BofA Gold Visa WorldPoints, Macy's, Best Buy, Chevron, Kohl's and two car loans.

Any input is great. And I apologize if it was a bit lengthy.

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
firstladyd
Contributor

Re: Discover It Approval

Congratulations! Welcome to Discover family. You r going to love love that card. I have the More card, love Discover.
I was approved in October and when they sent my card they also sent my score. I would call and ask about the 18 months 0%. The CSR r absolutely fabulous. If you didn't qualify they will probably tell you but if you do they will probably change it for you. Your accounts look similar to mine. They matched the total of my credit lines and gave me a little over 5k. My highest CL. The cash back is awesome. And its so easy. Shop discover is great and they have Discover Bank which offers great interest rates. The app for smartphone is great. Treat them well and they reward you.

Starting Score: 585
Current Score: TU 734 Walmart EQ 704 FICO EX 721
Goal Score: 750 Across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Grats, the Discover It card is awesome! I was approved for 0% intro till 2/2014 with the 0% BT for 14 months then 19.99% afterrwards. I dont carry any balances tho.

Message 3 of 23
rtw
Established Contributor

Congrats!

Starting Score: EX: 575 (PSECU 5/2/12) TU: 582 (3/6/12) EQ: 664 (4/27/12)
Current Score: EX: 699 (PSECU 06/04/14) 702 (my FICO 08/05/14) TU: 699 (08/01/14) EQ: 675 (07/08/14)
Goal Score: 720
20K PSECU 7/12 | 12K USAA 9/12 | 11K BOA 1-2-3 9/12 | 9K Citi HHonors 9/12 | 8.5K Citi AAdvantage 5/08 | 5K Chase Sapphire Pref. 9/12 | 3.8K Barclays USAir 7/12 | 6K Walmart Dis. 11/12 | 1K Amex SPG 11/12 | 2K Amex BCP 1/13
Message 4 of 23
shakalaka
Established Contributor

Congrats and nice starting limit

FICO (TU/EX/EQ): 773/766/778 - Total CL 255+K
Message 5 of 23
ycm
Established Member

Very nice, congrats!

Amex Delta Gold | Amex BCE | BofA Travel Visa Sig | Discover IT | Fidelity Visa | REI Visa Sig
Message 6 of 23
jakemod1
Regular Contributor

Thank you everyone! It's definitely a good feeling! I will call them first thing tomorrow and ask about the 18 months 0% apr promo.
Discover IT: $20,5k | Chase Freedom: $5k | CSP: $7k | Amex BCE: $25k | BofA Cash Rewards: $12,4k | Citi DC: $8,4k | Cap1 QS: $6k | Commence: $11k | US Bank Cash+: $8k | Macy's Amex $5k | Kohl's: $3k
Message 7 of 23
chnceit
Valued Contributor

Also keep in mind that Discover gives low BT offer after the initial BT offer

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 8 of 23
Epcot
Valued Contributor

Nice going, Congrats!

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 9 of 23
newportguy
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I've been receiving Discover pre-approvals from the mail every week (from personal loans to credit cards). More recently, I got a pre-approval offer for their new "It" card. I've been thinking about transfering my balance from my Macy's card and taking advantage of their 0% introductory offer, so I can finally start paying down my balance without their high 24.50% APR. I got it down to below $2,000, but since this past Christmas season, I racked up another $500 worth, bringing it to around $2,500. I since got it down to $2,300, which was my balance transfer request. I applied online after researching non-stop about the benefits. I figured I should be okay since my last inquiry was Feb 2012 from HSBC (Best Buy for a TV purchase). I also had no clue what my credit score was or anything. I got the "...wait 5-7 days" message after applying. After reading some of the tips here, I went ahead and called them. A CSR transfered me to a credit analyst. He asked me several questions, from my job history, income, and why I'm applying for the card. To my surprise, he approved me for $6,000! He asked me if that was okay, and I said,"Yes!" I just didn't expect to get that much, let alone, the amount of transfer I had requested.

Now, I have a couple questions. First, I know I signed up for the 0% APR for balance transfers and purchases for 14 months, but is there a way to change that to their 0% for 18 months for transfers offer? Should I just call and ask? Second, do they send you your credit score/report along with your card? I'm just curious as to what my credit score I got approved for a high amount. This is my first Discover card. I have a Capital One Platinum Visa, BofA Gold Visa WorldPoints, Macy's, Best Buy, Chevron, Kohl's and two car loans.

Any input is great. And I apologize if it was a bit lengthy.

Yes, I got my credit score with my new  IT card but no report. Even got my score with the 10.99% APR

Current Score: myFico EQ - 794 ( 11/ 29/2012 ) amexFico EX - 787 (10/15/2012) myFico TU - 780 (11/29/2012) Credit Sesame - 809 (02/04/2013) Goal Score * 800 Club *
****** Garden Club Member -- Last HP Jan 3rd 2013 *******
*** Amex - BCP 10 K * PenFed - CR 5 K * Amex - GDSM 5 K *
Discover - IT 5 K ***** NO MORE APPS FOR ME IN 2013 *****
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.