Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover It Secured - Approved

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover It Secured - Approved

Hello All, I'm new here and wanted to start off with a decent post. I have been a long time lurker (3 weeks) of the forum. I'm happy I finally decided to join Smiley Happy

After an unfortunate event (illness and unemployment) my credit took a massive hit, started to work on repairing my credit this month for the first time ever. This is my first serious attempt as well. Have learned the importance of not applying for credit too much the hard way. 

My goal is to buy my first home as soon as possible. Each day I slowly learn more and more about FICO and building good credit. 

I'll post more in other sections later on Smiley Very Happy

Anywho, I applied for the Discover It Secured card through their free credit score website. There was a constant push to see if I was prequalified. I went through the prompts then boom (^_^)v I was surprised how quickly the process was completed. My only regret is applying before a bank holiday and on the weekend lol. I applied on Feb 9th delayed the trial balances, which went through on Monday Feb 11th, security deposit withdrawn (300) on Wednesday Feb 13th, Then received an email this morning saying my card is on the way in 3-5 days. 

I made sure to stay on top of it by constantly contacting customer service during each phase. I was able to get the tracking number today and it is expected to arrive on Feb 22nd woohoo! I am excited about being on step closer to my goal! 

Don't know if this info will help, but...

2 Derogs (Working on this via FTC and Phone Calls)

98% UTL

2 Open Accounts (New Line of Credit from Aug 2018 and Oldest Line of Credit from June 2014) 

8 Closed (4 are card, closed 2 in a debt management program, closed another to prevent collections, another closed because they refused to work with me)

90% payment history 

FAKO: EX 561 TU 546 
FICO: TU 577 EX 531

Edit Update Feb 20: Card is in the mailbox, tracked via a tracking app on my phone, can't wait to get home and activate! 

21 REPLIES 21
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

Re: Discover It Secured - Approved

Congratulations on your approval!

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much! Smiley LOL

Message 3 of 22
Marz2002
Senior Contributor

CONGRATS on the Approval and WELCOME to the FORUMS and the Disco Family!!!

I seriously started my Rebuild project in April 2018 with a $300 OpenSky credit card that I had been using for over 2 years.

AMEX BCP $8K | AMEX Cash Magnet $15K | Citi DoubleCash WEMC $15.2K | Citi Rewards WMC $15.5K | Citi Costco VS $12K
Citi Custom Cash WEMC $7.8K | Synchrony (PayPal Credit $6K, Care Credit $15K, & PayPal 2% MC $10K, VENMO VS $6.5K)
PNC Cash Rewards VS $10.5K | NFCU cashRewards VS $14K | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $37.5K | NFCU Flagship Rewards VS $23K
Discover IT $22.5K | BB&T Cash Rewards $4.5K | Macy's AMEX $25K | Bloomingdales AMEX $20K | Apple Card WEMC $9K
PenFed Power Cash Rewards VS $7.5K

Total CL - $284K+
Message 4 of 22
WXYZ78006

CONGRATS! I was also able to do secured and opted for the $200 limit. Still waiting for my card and new responsibilites! Smiley Happy 

(WX) '13START TU500 EQ592 & 19'RESET TU545
(YZ) '13START TU586 -> 621 EQ612 & PAID OFF ALL FOR 19'RESET EXP589
Message 5 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do you like open sky? How long before you saw an increase in points in your scores?
Message 6 of 22
800FICOGoal
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My goal is to buy my first home as soon as possible. Each day I slowly learn more and more about FICO and building good credit. 

I made sure to stay on top of it by constantly contacting customer service during each phase. I was able to get the tracking number today and it is expected to arrive on Feb 22nd woohoo! I am excited about being on step closer to my goal! 

Congrats on your new card, and good luck on your home ownership quest!

Rebuild Cards

Goal Cards

Loans
Message 7 of 22
Priory_Man
Valued Contributor

Welcome to the forums, and congratulations on your new card.
Slow and steady wins the credit race, so don't try and rush things.
Good luck on the house purchase.

"Total revolving credit $286,000 Current UTIL >1%"
Message 8 of 22
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Congratulations on your approval 

Message 9 of 22
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Congrats on your new card

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.