Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover It after bankruptcy

tag
OaimeeO
New Contributor

Re: Discover It after bankruptcy

Jjohnson, Did you check the prequal site first? I am 7 months post Chpt 7 and was hoping to try for Discover. I have 6 months of good history with Credit One $600 limit. I also have a new auto loan reporting on time past 4 months. But the prequal site says they can't find a match for me. Haven't pulled my FICOs but CK fakos are 653 and 667.

Message 21 of 33
kberly69
Frequent Contributor

@OaimeeO wrote:

Jjohnson, Did you check the prequal site first? I am 7 months post Chpt 7 and was hoping to try for Discover. I have 6 months of good history with Credit One $600 limit. I also have a new auto loan reporting on time past 4 months. But the prequal site says they can't find a match for me. Haven't pulled my FICOs but CK fakos are 653 and 667.

The magic point for me was 8 months. I had been checking the prequal pretty regularly without success and then they sent me a mailer (a very, very pretty mailer I might add Smiley Happy at about 8 months post discharge. They gave me a $4K starting limit and in the weeks following that, I received three more mailers. Suddenly I was popular! When I got the card I asked what the earliest point was that I could ask for a CLI and the rep told me 3 months. We'll see!

CH7 BK Discharged 10/16
Oct/Nov 2016: EQ 632 TU 532 EX 573
Feb 2017: EQ 695 TU 673 EX 670
March 2017 EQ 702 TU 676 EX 673
April 2017 EX 683 (TU & EQ unknown)
May 2017 EQ 695 TU 685 EX 693
Feb 2018 EQ 704 TU 687 EX 694

9/24/20: 4 years from discharge FICO 8: EQ 751 EX 765 TU 766 FICO 9 EQ 814 EX 804 TU 821
Message 22 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did check the site.  It told me I wasn't pre-qualified for any offers at the time.  Completed the online app, it gave me a number to call.  The rep asked me some questions concerning my identity, came back and told me I was approved for a $2,400 CL.

Message 23 of 33
OaimeeO
New Contributor

Great! I will wait another month, so I will be 8 months post BK 7 and give it a shot!

Message 24 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

HI quick question I have a meeting sat to see if i qulify for chap 7...while it was in process what did you do to rebuild in thoes 8 months before to get your scores back up? thanks 

Message 25 of 33
J-F168
Frequent Contributor

I was declined 6 months after being discharged from Chapter 7 BK. Discover was IIBK.

EX 716 - EQ 707 - TU 724
BK 7 D/C Dec '16.
Message 26 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Today's the day to get some unsecured credit! Looks like Discover has loosened up since you used to need 24 months post-bk to get approved, but I saw this forum and decided to give it a try.

Ch 7 Discharged 16 months ago (05/17), no idea what "real" scores are, Vantage score is 701 (Chase credit monitoring).

Have 2 vehicle loans about 6 mo, secured loan 18 mo, student loan 10yrs, $1,000 credit union secured credit card 1yr (paid to less than $100 month before statement closes, then paid off).

Just app'd for Discover IT NHL card and was instantly approved, $1,800 limit. Income $128,000, mortgage payment $1,497, total vehicle and student loan payments $440, so DTIs are very low at 14/18.

Also app'd for Cap One Venture and got the 7 to 10 day decision message. Did burn Cap One in BK for $3,000, income is much higher now. If denied I will recon. Would like to have 3 cards total. Will head to the garden if the Venture gets approved, if not will look for one more card.

Message 27 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update, automatic CL increase after receiving my card 7/18. $500 increase. Never paid card all the way down. Heavy spend. $3,400/mo on a $2.4k card. Paid on it every other week.
Message 28 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover doesn't seem to like my profile. 

I have two very subprime cards (First Premier, etc), 700 limit on one, 300 limit on other, PayPay MC 2% CB, All sitting at a 0 balance. Hasn't updated to CBs yet . Should see a nice score increase from that. Have Sync. CareCredit $1500 with about 300 on it and CapOne Plat 3K limit, with about 2700 on it (Yes I know..I am going to use a $1500 work bonus coming this week or the next to knock that down). 

Discover doesn't like me. Maybe it was because I was carrying a rather high balance on my cards when I applied from BK 7 (about  8 months post discharge).

Is the best course of action to go ahead and get CapOne down to 0 and CareCredit to 0 as well and call the recon line and basically ask, in the most Frank tone, "What do you all want to see?" 

Oh also have 23K auto loan reporting since Mar. 

Any tips for how some of you pulled off these awesome feats welcome!

Message 29 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thats awsome! I dont discharge until dec 15th..So far i dont have anything postive becuase everything closed! i just got a new car form carvana again so im hoping that new trade line will help me! do you think its best to wait at least 6 months before app'ing for discover so that way it shows at least 6 months of ontime payments? 

Message 30 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.