2018 Dec Starting Score: 700
Current Score: 778
Achieved Goal Score 2020: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 11 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover It approved!!

Ficoproblems247 it does feel like a huge growth but considering where I was I hope to get way higher. Thanks so much for the support
Message 12 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your approval.

Message 13 of 28
Openwater
Established Contributor

Congrats on the approval and on the journey! There really is no standing rule, as far as I know. You will find some cards will not grow into larger limits aka "bucketed". But you need to go through them to grow sometimes. 

I would recommend to get what you can manage well. As you garden your limits and SL will improve. Read about AZEO to grow your scores and dont rush to apply too, too much.When you think you can get better cards start taking SUB;s into consideration. Best of luck!

Discover 22K ---------------------------- Credit Union MC 17K
Cap1 QS 11K ---------------------------- Barclay 3.4K
AMEX Blue Cash AU 15.5K ------ Barclay Apple AU 10K
AMEX BCP 15K
1 Installment loans:
Auto 60K /

AMEX Hilton Aspire 25K
Vantage 3.0: TU:738 EQ: 737 03-17-2020
Ch. 7 DC 12/2014
Message 14 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all the useful info. I will definitely sit for a little while and hopefully good things are to come!!

Message 15 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
... Is there a “golden number” of credit cards I should shoot for? 

More = Merrier. Smiley LOL 

Some members would argue otherwise. 

Take your time to learn what you are doing first before going crazy credit-seeking. 

Then go crazy credit-seeking. Smiley Wink

Or take a more measured approach. That works too.

Congrats! on your Disco approval. That's a good lender to get in with. 

Message 16 of 28
manwoot
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
First timer here so forgive me if I put this in the wrong place. I’ve been trying the pre-qual for Disco for over a year now. FINALLY got approved for Disco It!! Started me off at $750 but hopefully it will grow like everyone says.
Data Points for all
Fico8 Exp-654, Equ-647, Trans-617
6 recent Inqs
4 derogs all over 4 years old
From what I can tell I’m lucky to have been approved.

It will definitely grow.  Mine started out at $1000 CL when my scores were similar to yours... Look at it now!  Congrats on the new card!

Message 17 of 28
Traveler101
Established Contributor

Congrats!
Message 18 of 28
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

Nice! Congrats!

Disco still won't give me any love. The only reason they cite is "status of prior Discover account"... To be fair, they did sue me for $5k last year Smiley Very Happy I later settled it for less. I actually did get a pre-approval a few months ago, and I stupidly pulled the trigger on it thinking it was a sure thing, only to get denied. Wasted a HP. I don't even check the Discover pre-qual page anymore, but I may try again in a few years.

Total Loan Balance: $43k / $65k

Total SL: $78k

United 1K - 725,000 lifetime flight miles    |    Chase Status: 4/24
Message 19 of 28
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Is there a “golden number” of credit cards I should shoot for? I have the Cap 1 secured that just got increased to 700 and I also have a credit 1 sitting at 450. I’m not sure if I should harden those for a while or shoot for another?

A lot of people suggest that 3 is the "golden number", meaning that you're not getting the most FICO points with only one or two cards, and once you have 3 then you're set, and adding more won't help much other than by lowering your utilization, which you can also accomplish without adding cards.

I like to have more than 3 so that I have some "cushion" to allow me to close cards later without causing any serious harm to my scores.

Total Loan Balance: $43k / $65k

Total SL: $78k

United 1K - 725,000 lifetime flight miles    |    Chase Status: 4/24
Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.