cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Train Still Rolling! $4.5k CLI (Data Points)

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Discover Train Still Rolling! $4.5k CLI (Data Points)

Hello friends!

My 90 days was up today (actually 91) so I figured I would give the 'ole button a try; I was pleasantly surprised to get a CLI of $4.5k... my new credit line is $15k!  Smiley Very Happy

Here's some background...

I got the account August 2015 with an initial credit line of $5500, which I felt was generous for me at the time (my score was 715-ish, and I still had two baddies).  A couple of months after my account was opened, I took them up on an offer for a 0% balance transfer of approx. $3k, and I worked on it modestly (my payments were around $200-$300 each month).  Since I was on a new account 0% promo for purchases as well, I continued to use the account for new purchases (to take advantage of the 5% categories), so some months the balance on my BT didn't see much movement.

In November I tried the button and got a $500 CLI, and in March I tried again and got another $500 making my credit line $6.5k (I was still working on the BT). 

Then in June things changed... for the first time in over a decade I had a 'clean' credit file, and my TU shot up to 780+, and I also paid off my balance (actually I took advantage of a 0% BT with BoA, but to Discover it was just another payment).  I tried for a CLI, and was given $4k... new credit line $10.5k.  Some might find it notable that in June I actually tried a couple of weeks before 90 days had passed, and was denied - I got a letter saying I didn't have sufficient experience with my current credit line... that's why I didn't try before 90 days this time.  At the time the denial was surprising (many have luck with monthly CLIs), but Discover more than made up for it just two weeks later with a generous $4k.  Smiley Happy

Over the summer I continued to PIF each month, although I didn't put any significant amounts on the card... my monthly bill most months was $200-$250.  I went back and checked my emails a couple of weeks ago to see when I could try again, and today was the day.  I'm very pleased with the new $15k credit line. Smiley Very Happy

My TU has taken a slight hit due to new accounts, and is now 765-770 depending on the day.

For me, $15k actually seems to be a very reasonable credit line, so I'm not sure if I'll go 'back to the well' or not.  I have a modest income - and I'm truthful on CLI requests - so I'm not sure how much more there would be for me anyway.  Assuming I'm still on the "90 day plan" my next opportunity will be around Christmas, so I have some time to think about it.

Hopefully some of my details will be helpful to the community.  Smiley Very Happy

I didn't think to do a screen capture of the 'sliding rule' page when I got the CLI, but here's my account now, after the CLI:

newdiscover.jpg

(Note I just cashed in my cashback a couple of weeks ago ($250), which is why the amount is now so small.  I love this card!)  Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 43
42 REPLIES 42
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Re: Discover Train Still Rolling! $4.5k CLI (Data Points)

Congrats UncleB !

Gotta love Discover, for their high credit limits and their Balance Transfer options which I use on a regular basis (4.99% for 18 months no upfront fee). I tend to NOT pay interest on credit cards by either paying in full or using 0% intro promotions, but sometimes when you get a tax bill, or medical bill, or "life happens" you need to pay over time and Discover's 4.99% sure beats even credit union rates.

My last two CLI's from Discover were for $500 each (currently $19k CL), still waiting for the big one like you just scored - maybe by the holidays Smiley Wink.

Message 2 of 43
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@pipeguy wrote:

Congrats UncleB !

Gotta love Discover, for their high credit limits and their Balance Transfer options which I use on a regular basis (4.99% for 18 months no upfront fee). I tend to NOT pay interest on credit cards by either paying in full or using 0% intro promotions, but sometimes when you get a tax bill, or medical bill, or "life happens" you need to pay over time and Discover's 4.99% sure beats even credit union rates.

My last two CLI's from Discover were for $500 each (currently $19k CL), still waiting for the big one like you just scored - maybe by the holidays Smiley Wink.

Thanks so much!  Smiley Very Happy

We're definitely 'birds of a feather'... anytime I need to carry a balance, I either use a low-fee 0% promo somewhere or I transfer to my (relatively) low APR no-BT fee NFCU card if the need is only for a few months.  There's no point in paying more interest than is absolutely required... that's why we work so hard to have good credit cards!

Thanks again! 

P.S.  Good luck on your own next CLI with them as well!  Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 43
BigBS
Senior Contributor

Congrats, UncleB! Your work has paid off again, but I wouldn't give up just yet.

Score: EQ(809) EX(819) TU(800)
INQs: EQ(7) EX(16) TU(8)
Last INQ: 13 Jul 23

Total Credit Limit - $2.0M

Message 4 of 43
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@BigBS wrote:

Congrats, UncleB! Your work has paid off again, but I wouldn't give up just yet.

Thank so much!  Smiley Very Happy

You might be right... and when the time rolls around I might see what happens; I've got some time to think that one over... LOL!  Smiley Tongue

At this point I'll be happy no matter what happens with future requests, though... they have me at a good place! 

Thanks again!  Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 43
baller4life
Super Contributor

Congratulations UncleB!! Good job! Choo choooo!! 😃
Message 6 of 43
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats UncleB on a great increase!

Message 7 of 43
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

Congrats! That is a very generous CLI!

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 8 of 43
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@baller4life wrote:
Congratulations UncleB!! Good job! Choo choooo!! 😃

Thanks so much, my friend!  Smiley Very Happy

If I remember correctly you have one coming up with Discover as well... any news yet??  Smiley Tongue

Message 9 of 43
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Congrats UncleB on a great increase!

Thanks so much, my friend!  Smiley Very Happy

It's nice to be at a point on this one where any future CLIs will just be 'gravy'... I'm actually happy with this credit line going forward.  I know the attitude here tends to be "more, more, more!" and I'm not knocking that, it's just that for my needs I'm in really good shape now. 

I must add that I'm not one to enjoy the 'drama' with CLIs (and apps either, really) so it's especially nice to have this one in such a good place. Smiley Wink

Thanks again! 

Message 10 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.