cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover approval - shocked at $11K SL!

tag
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover approval - shocked at $11K SL!

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

bb574cac2ba548dc2a40bd787038bbab.gif

+1

Message 11 of 19
LadyJEsq
Established Contributor

@credit_is_crack wrote:

Congrats on the Approval! That's a great starting limit. My IT started at $4,500 and Miles started at $4,000 so $11k is epic from my perspective! 

A couple questions about the new Discover account:

1) I haven't received any follow up emails or anything other than the thin-on-details, one paragraph approval page.  Is this normal?  Yes. They are like little intro emails and when you actually activate the card it sends you the full 'welcome' email

2) Has anyone heard of such a high SL for a new Discover customer with a score barely reaching 700?  I was at 500 less than 2 years ago, so this is huge for me! -- I've heard of Disco cards growing up to $10k, $15k, $20k and well beyond, but I dont see too many starting above $10k, but they do exist. When I applied i was mid 600s and I think because many apply when their scores are in that range $4-$5k SL's is not uncommon

3) APR rate?  The application said there was a promotional 0% for 14 months, but no APR was mentioned on the approval page. With Dsiscover, if approved, does that mean at that promotional rate, or do I need to wait for the card to arrive before I know for sure? -- your true confirmation will be when the card arrives, but you can always call up and ask. Discover isn't really known for having people apply for a specific card and then change up the terms after approval. I think you'll be good there

Hope this helps, of course as always YMMV. Congrats Again!

+1 Congrats OP! Welcome to the boards and the Discover family. Smiley Very Happy

**FICO 8 Scores EQ EX TU **

Message 12 of 19
pip3man
Valued Contributor

My best friend had similar scores with a collection on file and was approved for an $18K SL. Highest limit prior to that was a $500 Cap 1 card. Meanwhile I've had Discover for over 3yrs albeit clean reports but still stuck at $3k. Talk bout being jealous lol

Message 13 of 19
Gemini77

Congrats.  I recently applied online for the Discover IT Cashback card.  I did a lot of research to see which CRA they would pull.  They pull EQ which is my highest FICO 695.  I have a BK that was discharged 9 years ago.  4 inquiries, 2 collections: $228 which actually was paid but still fighting, and an ambulance bill of $928, which was taken out of my taxes but still fighting.  Overall credit mix is excellent. Total Credit utilization 31%.  The application wanted my income and assets which both are pretty decent.  I got 10K, and was also very shocked.  By far the highest limit.  I am hoping that Discover will continue to treat me well so that I would like to only carry a balance with this card.  Yeah, I guess I will buy a pack of gum with my other cards here and there just to show activity, but Discover has my interest now.  Especially with the potential CLIs I hear about.

Message 14 of 19
Total80sKid
Senior Contributor

Very nice SL

Congrats! Smiley Happy
Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I applied for the Disco IT in July and was also shocked when I was approved with an 11k SL. My EQ score at the time was just over 700 and EX and TU were just below 700. At the time I only had one other card, which was a Capital One Platinum with a 2k CL.

Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fantastic sl op, congratulations. Accept the Amex. Dv
Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats OP! That is indeed a great SL with Discover! And you are correct, their CSR's are some of the friendliest I've ever encountered!!!! Enjoy your new card and remember to check out Discover Deals!  Lots of money to be saved there. 

Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

LOL. You did what I did backwards...and it came out backwards. I burned Discover 10+ years ago. Charge off. I was also hoping to get back in with them someday but waited to established some history with Crap1 Secured first. I didn't want a Disco secured since I already had Cap1 so I waited.

First, applied for Amex BCE. 10K which was ridiculous but someone else in my Amex thread got the same SL.
Few weeks later went for Discover It. 1,000. EX 722

Well, hope you accepted the Amex..and didn't miss the Amex CL thread.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.